POTD: Flowers

Discussion in 'Picture of the Day' started by Paul, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Looks like it might be "Calliandra Haematocephalla" or at least in the "Calliandra" family.

Here's a link to some info on it... http://rareflora.com/calliandrahae.htm

3. ELinder

ELinder Member

Thanks. Could be related, although the one I saw was definitely a large tree, not a shrub.

Erich

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Hey Erich...looks like you might have found yourself a New Zealand Christmas Tree - yet another invasive species to Florida - but a pretty one. ; If it was a large tree, and had those blooms, that's got to be it. ; Formal name is metrosideros excelsa. ; My neighbor has one in his front yard.

5. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  6. Paul

Paul Member

[attachimg=1]

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Pretty purple Roni and Paul. ; Here's some yellow forsythia.

[​IMG]

8. Ryan

Ryan Member

These are stunning! I need to work on my macro photography. For those interested, there is an orchid show this weekend at the Frelinghuysen Arboretum in Morristown, NJ.
    For more information click here: http://www.njorchids.org/
    I'm not part of the society but saw a poster for it and thought I would share ; :)

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Ryan, I don't own a macro lens and get by with what I got. ; The forsythia was taken with my 18-200VR lens at 200mm focal length. I cropped the photo about 30% to get this closeup. I used f/8 to give the flowers good depth of field so you look right down into them.

10. Paul

Paul Member

I wish I had a macro lens myself, but like Scott get by with what I have.

11. Paul

Paul Member

12. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

This one's not a macro. ; In fact, it's an anti-macro! ; I was 15 feet away and shooting at 750mm equivalent!!:

[​IMG]

It's some kind of flower growing out of the water in the wetlands.

13. Paul

Paul Member

Nice shot Justin, I like that, anti macro!

Here is one from Moose Hill Wildlife Sanctuary, not even sure you could classify as a flower; added some Topazian Adjustments

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

14. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I thought that there had been a long enough time from last night's storm that the wildflowers would have come out again this morning.

Nope.

But there were a few poppies left:

15. Ryan

Ryan Member

I honestly haven't really thought about doing that- thanks Scott! Owning a macro lens would be nice, but I'd rather save for my next Disney vacation.

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Cherry Blossoms with Forsythia:

[​IMG]

17. ELinder

ELinder Member

I don't have a macro lens either, I just use whatever I have on the camera and zoom in as much as possible.

This is the first time I went to the Epcot Flower and Garden festival to just look at the flowers. There really are some very interesting blooms there.

Erich
    [expando]http://gallery.mac.com/erichlinder/100151/DSC_5766_2/large.jpg[/expando]

[expando]http://gallery.mac.com/erichlinder/100151/DSC_5778_2/large.jpg[/expando]

18. Paul

Paul Member

[attachimg=1]

19. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Roni!