POTD: Flowers

Discussion in 'Picture of the Day' started by Paul, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

2. Paul

Paul Member

From somewhere in AK...one of the trails

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

3. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Now I have to get out in my garden this weekend. The dramatic shifts in weather the last few months has killed everything. I miss color! (besides brown, I mean).

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

5. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Love the shots on this page, especially yours, Paul and Craig! ; Great shots everyone!

Here's mine...not quite the same, but I figure it counts...right?

[​IMG]
    Clicking the picture takes you to its Flickr page, where you can download/view a larger copy, access my camera settings/EXIF data, read the caption for this shot, or navigate to my other shots!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

6. Paul

Paul Member

Thanks Tom and yes yours does count! ; Nice shot.

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

Chrysler Imperial:

[​IMG]

There's a neat story behind this shot. ; My Dad loved gardening as a child, so my Great-Grandmother gave him some rose bushes while he was in high school (mid 60's). ; He planted them at his parent's house and continued to care for them for many years. ; When he got married, the rose bushes were too big to dig up and move without risking severe damage to the plant, so he left them at his parent's house and continued to faithfully tend to them there. ; Three years ago when my Grandmother decided it was time to sell the house and move into a condo, he only had one rose bush left there; it was his favorite, Chrysler Imperial. ; The others were not as hardy and had been killed off by hard winters over the years. ; At that time he decided to try to start new bushes from cuttings since Chrysler is one of the few modern hybrid tea roses that is hardy enough to grow on its own root stock[nb]most roses that you see today are grafted onto root stock from a much stronger rose[/nb] so he took 5 cuttings, put them under his plant lights and babied them through the winter. ; Only two survived and they bloomed for the first time last year, so of course I had to take pictures of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  8. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Michael that is SO beautiful and I love the story. ; Was it taken with a macro lens?

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks Roni!

Yep. ; Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm F2.8, manual focus. ; The shot was taken after sunset at 100 ISO, f7.6, 1/60s, with flash camera right[nb]note the little white highlight on the water droplets[/nb]

10. Paul

Paul Member

Stunning Michael!! ; Neat story behind it as well.

11. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

[​IMG]

Based on Texas Wildflower pages, this is called Baby Blue-eyes.

12. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Roger, that pretty flower looks like it's sprinkled with pixie dust. :)

[​IMG]

13. Roger

I know. ; And I only saw one small patch of them yesterday.

14. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Very pretty!

15. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Beautiful picture Michael and great story too!

16. Tim

From PixelMania...

17. Tim

one from the polynesian, 12/14/2008

[​IMG]

18. Paul

Paul Member

[attachimg=1]

19. mSummers

mSummers Member

thanks guys!

Here's one for today. ; Brassia rex Tahoma:

[​IMG]

U.S. Botanic Garden and Smithsonian Institution Horticultural Services Division Orchid Exhibit. ; U.S. Botanic Garden, Washington DC

20. Roger

That's the one right off 1st St across from the Washington Post distribution center, right?