So, top of the line Point and Shoot or 'starter' DSLR?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by ArnyVee, Sep 30, 2009.

1. gary

gary Member

since you only have the one lens, a modest tripod and a small bag, ie, lowpro microtrekker will do for now
    make your first serious purchase a good ballhead, i can reccommend both kirk and acratech, i have and use both, although the acratech is now my usual travel tripod, bought specifically for that reason because of some serious design engineering put into the product to reduce weight, the folks who make it made their rep in speed parts for funny cars and top fuel cars, so they know a thing or two about machining strong and light
    you bring a tripod and a cable release to pixelmania and read the owners manual a couple dozen times beforehand and we'll up your game in 3 days
    it just requires stamina, right paul??

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Gary, which Acratech are you using?

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Congrats, ArnyVee!

There will be a lot of us Nikon shooters at Pixelmania with lenses you might want to try out. ; Don't be afraid to ask. ; BTW, what lens did you get? ; 18-55? ; Is it VR? ;

My first lens suggestion would be the Nikon AF-S 18-200VR. ; You also might want to look at LensRentals.com (an official Pixelmania sponsor) about renting an extra lens to try before you buy.

4. Paul

Paul Member

Right you are Gary, hopefully I am in better shape this year! ; I've been bench pressing with my tripod fully loaded!!

5. gary

gary Member

Acratech Ultimate Ballhead with Quick Release (Requires Plate) with Left Metal Knobs - Supports 25 lb (11.3 kg) ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/250109-R ... Quick.html

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Thanks!

7. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

Thanks Scott! :)

The lens is the 18-55mm. I should be getting it on 10/26....so, less than a week away now ;)

I'm definitely going to be looking for some help/suggestions/assistance on getting those great shots that you guys and gals take. :D