Animal Kingdom night photo meet Dec. 2

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by ddindy, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Use Rear-sync flash setting at dusk. ; How far away is that waterfall from the trail, Jeff?

2. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I think I had the camera locked open in bulb and handheld the strobe a few times. ; If I remember the waterfall is maybe 20-30' back? ; Seems like it should have worked better but that was a while back and I probably screwed something up. ; Plus is is extremely dark back there- as is a lot of AK at night. ; A small flashlight to see your camera settings is a must.

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Good thought, but the few times I've played with my modeling flash it appears to be a continuous series of low-power strobes.

If we really want to go exotic, I think I still have a few flashbulbs buried somewhere. ; The light curve on a flashbulb is flatter and longer, whereas on a strobe it's a tall, sharp spike.

The only trick will be finding the flash gun (which is also buried somewhere) and a battery for it. ; The battery is about the same size as a double-A, but it's square and has an unusual voltage rating.

Another idea for Jeff's shot: ; One of Tim's day into night shots. ; Take a shot around sunset to light the waterfall, then come back and take another when it's dark, and combine them in your favorite editor. ; Call it time-lapse HDR.

4. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I know a lot of this is "schemin' and dreamin'," but if you guys spend all of the time on elaborate shots like the 3 or 4 I've now seen discussed, you are going to come back with like 10 night time shots from all of your time during Pixelmania! ;

These complicated solutions might produce a really cool shot, but time after dark is a pretty precious resource. ; Maybe it's just me, but I tend to shoot at WDW with the motto: "keep it simple".

5. ddindy

Thanks for the tip, Tom. ; We were getting kind of crazy, weren't we? ; If AK was open after dark every day, it would be a lot easier to try some of these ideas. ; For a single evening, though, simple and quick is good.

6. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Some of the people going to Pixelmania (and some have participated in this conversation) got to WDW so much that they have probably moved beyond the need to keep it simple anymore since they know they'll be back again, and again, and again

7. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

That's perfectly fine, too if that's what people want to do. ; I know I love seeing pictures that have a nice setup and some work behind them (I know I'll never get these shots). ; Just a reminder for those with big plans who may also want to get as many pictures as they can. ; I know I love to scheme about how I can get some shots, and I think up elaborate plans too (isn't that half the fun), but when push comes to shove, I go for quantity over quality. ; Like I said, maybe that's just me.

8. jermsworld

jermsworld Member

I'm basically a beginner with a D60 and a cheap tripod. ; No special equipment except with what comes with the camera. ; So this is more of a learning expedition than me going out to get the best shot. ; I'm hoping my pictures improve on this solo trip, that's my gameplan.

9. gary

gary Member

several of us are coming well equipped, and i'll be there well before 1630 as i will be at wdw early am 12/1, we can cater to both groups, those wanting to climb the learning curve and those with more elaborate shots in mind

ie: jermsworld, i can meet up with you before hand, and we'll work on a little daytime ak tutorial, i've got a little skill, and we can learn and work on it together, you'll be amazed how much we can up you game in 3 days, trust me, we may not be advertising in outdoor photography yet, but this is a real photo learning experience, something for everyone

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Just a reminder to where we'll be meeting up and the evening shooting location. ; Sunset is at 5:28PM on December 2nd.

[​IMG]
    View from the Flame Tree BBQ sitting area.

11. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Team effort - how about one or two people to man all of our cameras on tripods...press all the shutters/remotes with a 30-sec exposure, then 5-8 of us can spread out on the trail all around the area and on signal, fire off our flash units. ; Voila! ; :)

12. ddindy

The old open flash trick. ; I like it. ; Here's another place something like that might work:

[​IMG]

Some other photo possibilities: ; Everest

[​IMG]

Tree of Life

[​IMG]

13. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Dur I did that, slightly different angle before....(back before the Mk3)

No flash:
    [​IMG]

Manually fired off camera flash:
    [​IMG]

14. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Count me in, never been in AK for night shots.

15. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

dennis, that tree shot might be one of your best all-time!

16. ddindy

Wow, high praise from the Grand Poobah himself! ; Thanks, Tim.

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Duh! ; I just noticed there will be a full moon on December 2nd! ; Dennis, add this to the OP: Moonrise will be at 5:51PM...now to figure out the compass direction. ; Anyone got a geographical map of Animal Kingdom laying around? ; :D

18. ddindy

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Dennis! ; BTW, is the top of a Google Map view North? ; The moonrise azimuth is 61.2 degrees. ; Thinking there might be a vantage point where the full moon and Everest could be lined up when the moon is still close to the horizon and magnified by the atmosphere.

20. ddindy

It usually is north for me. ; Unlike Google Earth, there may not be a way to rotate a Google Map so that north is not up (other in street view).

I like your idea. ; It looks like the area around Flame Tree will offer the best angle. ; We may want to schedule things to return to Flame Tree near the end of the evening. ; (The moon's elevation is only 24 degrees at 8 pm. ; If it's not cloudy, I'll have to see how high that is tonight.)

Watch the skies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.