Animal Kingdom night photo meet Dec. 2

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by ddindy, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I love the moon idea- especially if we can find a spot farther away and use longer lenses- so the moon is larger and more prominent in the picture. ; Here are a couple I did a few years ago on a trip in May. ; The EE lights were out for some reason. ; From the same spot- first is at 17mm and second is at 55mm on a D80.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Nice shots, Jeff. ; The silhouette of Everest is really cool.

I just went outside and had a look at the rising moon and was surprised at how fast it rises. Thirty minutes after moonrise it was 5 degrees above the horizon, plenty high for good photos. ; I'll have to revise my earlier comment and say we should be in position no later than 6:15.

If any of you will be in AK beforehand (Scott and Gary, maybe?), you might want scout out spots with good visibility of Everest. ; Flame Tree is the obvious best spot, but if we have to move further east, there is a path along the river between there and the Nemo theater. ; I can't remember if there are any good photo spots along there.

3. Paul

Paul Member

I so wish I was going to this!

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

This meet has been added to the calendar. ; I wish I was there as
    well. ;

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Just a bump to remind people of this pre-PM event. ; :)

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I took these at 4:15PM today. ; Could someone lookup the exact time of moonrise for 11/29/009. ; That will give us an idea about when the moon will be visible over Expedition Everest. ; This was taken from the viewing area we'll be using on December 2nd.

[​IMG]

Zoomed in...

[​IMG]

I'm off to Epcot for dinner and Illuminations. ; See PMer's soon!

7. Paul

Paul Member

8. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

that second one is awesome scott!

9. ELinder

ELinder Member

I'll be there for this pre-meet too. I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Erich

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Scott these are wonderful.

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, PM and Craig. ; I got excited seeing the moon about where I thought it would be. ; However, for those coming down, the weather is not looking great for tomorrow night. ; We'll still be meeting and, I am sure, we'll find lots to photograph no matter what Mother Nature has in store for us.

12. ddindy

Moonrise is just over an hour later each night, so if we can't do "moon over Everest" on Wednesday, maybe we can get "moon over Space Mountain" on Thursday (7 pm) or Saturday (9:17 pm), or "Moon over Mexico" on Friday (8:07 pm).

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Good point, Dennis. ; Have a safe trip tomorrow!

14. ELinder

ELinder Member

Depending on the weather Wed evening, there may also be a rocket launch from Cape Canaveral between 7:21 to 8:41 p.m. EST. I'm not sure how visible it will be, but night shuttle launches are very visible. It's possible we could also catch the ascent trail in a long exposure shot.

Erich

15. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

How cool is that! ; If it get scrubbed maybe it will still occur while we are down there.

16. ddindy

Is it a military launch? ; I don't see anything on NASA's current schedule.

17. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Yes...moon over Mexico! ; I always liked that one.

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

18. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

19. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

good one Justin.

Reminds me of my old school film tricks:

[​IMG]

Haven't uploaded my Paradise Pier one done the same way....

20. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

What? ; Clouds? ; Rain?

I had snow forecast for last night (but the tropical moisture didn't come up as far north, it's heading for LA and...hey, FL!), and it was in the low 40s today.

But hey, I'm packing shorts since it looks like the weekend and Monday are going to be warm![nb]Warm is relative; ask the shirt-free male skiers on the beautiful fluffy Colorado powder covered slopes. ; (they also forget to wear sunscreen)[/nb]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.