Verizon iPhone!

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by jbwolffiv, Jan 12, 2011.

1. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

Not sure about this, but it seems to me that the GPS location function may not be a data function - since it works by receiving signals from GPS sattelites and cell towers and using them to triangulate your position - but the maps SHOULD be a data function, as it downloads the map imagery from Google's servers on the internet.

So, if you try to bring up a map while you're on the phone, and try to pan around or zoom in or out, it may know where you are, but it wouldn't be able to display a map of where you are, if it can't use the data connection while you're on the phone.

I'm interested to know for sure, Tim. Give it a try sometime and let us know.

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Will, I am horrible at remembering where everyone is from BUT Verizon's 4G LTE is already being deployed. ; It is already available here in Orlando and NY and a few other areas for Computer use. ; Phone use is coming during the first quarter as the phones are released.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Will- ; you can talk and GPS navigate at the same time. ; The voice cuts in at the appropriate time to prompt you. ; Tested it the other day.

(from my htc incredible)

4. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

So this steps around the data usage cost of a mobile hotspot?

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Yes. But it only works for the one ; laptop connected to the phone. ; You can't run a room full of devices with it. ; Unless you can somehow find a way to ad hoc a connection.

(from my htc incredible)