Verizon iPhone!

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by jbwolffiv, Jan 12, 2011.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Anyone else happy about this? ; I have been waiting 3+ years for it. ; I refused to get internet for my phone until I could have one. ; Now I have to fight the masses next month to get my hands on one!

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i will most likely switch back but not until my contract is up (late may +/-) and once i find out all the little catches and tricks with the billing, lockdowns, etc. ; lesson learned from my time in the at&t barrel.

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that I will be getting one anytime soon. ; Even though they are bringing the iPhone 4 now, there is already a rumor on the net that we might see the iPhone 5 come May or so. ; So, for now, I will enjoy my Droid Incredible and see what comes out between now and the next time I am due for an upgrade.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

My predication is the next iPhone will be the iPhone 4G as they did for the 3 to 3G since AT&T is now putting a 4G network together. ; I can upgrade at anytime and I need to but want to wait for the next version. ; The 3G under iOS 4.2 is slow.

5. Tim

pretty much the route i am taking as well. ; i like my droid but some of the unresolved bugs that keep creeping up are making me nutty (vanishing texts, low space bug, etc).

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I plan to stay with Droid. I haven't had any problems other than typical cell phone issues

Sent from my Droid

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

It depends on what the true costs are going to be. I still have my original 2G/Edge iPhone because updating the phone meant I HAD to pay for more expensive service options that I don't really need.

And, what the heck is with companies lately that can't properly launch a product? Lets's see, you've been putting together this deal and product for how long, but you can't figure out what it'll cost and will let us know at a later time? Nice professionalism. ; ::) How about getting all your ducks in a row before you launch a product.

Erich

8. Tim

Agreed. ;

(from my htc incredible)

9. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Coming from a non smart phone user, I plan on jumping on board with an iphone. ; As I said in my earlier post, I have been waiting for a while. ; Plus, my wife is pretty excited about having one in the house so that is a plus!(or minus if she is always playing with it)

10. Tim

Gotta be able to use pdanet. Right now that requires a jailbreak. ; ; Big drawback for now.

11. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

huh? ; what do you mean?

12. Tim

Pdanet is an app that allows me to tether my phone to my laptop to get my laptop online. ; It uses the phones data connection thru either Bluetooth or usb. ; Apple hasn't allowed it into their store but android has. ; I use it all the time. ;

(from my htc incredible)

13. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

So the phone becomes your wireless connection when plugged in to your laptop? ; That is cool! ; Strike one against the iPhone

14. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

I've always said that the only reason that I haven't bought an iPhone was I *hate* AT&T. But - watching how the iPhones affected the AT&T's network when they first came out, I'm going to see what happens to Verizon's network. Millions of new phones hitting the air has to affect something, somewhere.

That, and any bugs that may not be addressed until after people with the first version (sometimes referred to as "Beta Testers" ; ;) ; ) find out what still needs to be addressed.

I gave up getting version 1.0 of anything a long time ago. I really don't want/need any prestige about being the first one on my block to get one. I just want to spend my money efficiently.

15. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

The media is claiming that Verizon is going to allow their iPhone 3GS to act as a hotspot.

16. Tim

yes, and it's quite fast. ; polymedic will attest: ; when i was in fla in november during a family emergency, i was video skyping with my kids via phone/laptop while he was driving down the street to an establishment. ; once we got a good signal, it was awesome.

not to mention, one time app registration fee ($18 or so) and that's it. ; no monthly fees or any other gimmicks.

it is available for iphone but that would require a jailbreak which kills your warranty if anything goes wrong.

rockettom- agreed. ; the prestige thing wore off a long time ago.

17. Tim

i heard that also but i doubt it would be without an additional cost. ; if it's free, then pdanet is irrelevant. ;

18. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

I had been seriously considering jumping off the iPhone bandwagon for a Droid X (I love that phone) when my contract is up, but during the hubub I found out something disturbing about Verizon - you can't use any data apps while you're talking on the phone.

No maps, no translators, no restaurant apps, no email checking, no internet - when the phone rings, you get disconnected till you hang up, period. And this applies to all Verizon smart phones, including the iPhone.

So no Droid and no Verizon iPhone in my near future. Perhaps in a few years, when their 4g LTE network is deployed, this bug in the network will no longer apply, and I'll go back to Verizon and get an Android phone of some kind or another iPhone. But for now, I'll be sticking with my iPhone 3Gs on AT&T.

19. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Yeah they are, at least that is what the folks over at TiPb. ; They are the same folks that put together Crackberry.com and Android Central. ; VERY knowledgeable, and I have learned a lot from them. ; They did a side by side comparison of the iPhone on Verizon and At&t to help folks decide which one to go with. ; Pricing and all. ; Seems like a push for the most part, BUT as Gary said, version one is always a tough one to go with. ; Should be interesting though, to see how it all goes.

20. Tim

will, if memory serves me correctly, ; i can still use my google maps navigation while on the phone since it uses gps and not data. ; i could be wrong but i think it still works.