SO..........what are you gonna buy next?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=21592528

17-55 IS lacks the sealing of the cousin Ls. I have a little dust in the lens but it's not affecting image quality. I try and keep the dust out. Got a HEPA filter for the office plus I'm going to add my IKEA cabinet lights to the storage unit to dehumidify.

As for QC - Photozone rested the 70-200/2.8 IS.

Final comments: "At this stage I will not provide a final verdict due a centering problem in the tested samples. Nonetheless I would like to note that the QC issues with image stabilization lenses (Canon or Nikon) are getting worrisome from a testing perspective."

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses ... /index.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. jann1033

jann1033 Member

hmm that is interesting and sure fits my own experience with the 28-135 lemon i got.( less lemon ish till canon "fixed" it but that's a different topic)

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

why dont you send it back again with a letter of complaint? they messed up one of my lenses awhile back and i sent it back to them and they fixed it quick and overnighted it back to me. no extra charge...

4. HW

HW Member

just got a nikon D80 with the 18-135mm kit lens and 2 gig sd card. Now the fun begins and the good old lens lust

5. Tim

at-a-boy ,howie. 'bout darn time....... even if it is nikon... (yuck) :)

6. HW

HW Member

haha tim.. remember this aint that other site where brand loyalty is like a cult

7. Tim

i am really happy for ya, bud. it's been a long time coming and i know how bad you wanted that bad boy. congrats!

8. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I guess I lied here before...I went out and bought a 105mm f2.8 VR. I really need to work on my impulse management... ::)

9. gary

gary Member

howie, that's a good camera, and nikon makes some very sharp lenses, now comes the real expense, building up the full range lens collection, i've been captive to lenslust for awhile
    gary

10. HW

HW Member

I got the lust already Gary but the kit lens is good enough for now till I learn how to use the D80. I want to get a 400 or 500mm for bird shooting. Most likely something in the f5.6 range as f 2.8 on them big tellies is way out of my price range.

11. Tim

here's your lens, howie....

consistently high reviews on this one....
    SIGMA 50-500

12. HW

HW Member

I will have to check that lens out when the time comes as in when I got the cash for one. Another next is a newer PC. This one is about 5 now and getting a little slow for doing raw workflow. Damn thing crashed on me today and I spent half the day figuring out why and after clean installs and changing hard drives it turned out to be the video card.

13. HW

HW Member

I just got another recommend on that lens Tim

14. Tim

it's gotten consistently good reviews, but i have seen it in the field and it's pretty darn big.

15. HW

HW Member

16. Tim

thanks, howie.

17. Tim

ya know, that bigma might be on my wish list too... :eek:

18. HW

HW Member

am looking to get that spyder now. I see the prices have really dropped on them. B and H has the basic one for 69 now

19. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

You may also try buy.com. I think they have it for $60.

They also have the Huey for $67.

If you haven't used Google checkout yet you can get $10 off.

I actually just got the express from Buy.com this week!

20. HW

HW Member

thanx.. will look into buy.com and google checkout