pulled the plug

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by HW, May 9, 2010.

1. dishippy

dishippy Member

I just got my D90 last Thursday so if you are like me, you will absolutely love it. This is my first SLR so I have been learning a lot thus far but I know enough that this is a very capable camera and I can't wait to see what you capture with it.

2. HW

HW Member

so the vrII is a gimmick Roger ? ;

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yes and no. ; I think that for the smaller lens size the VRII doesn't have as much of an improvement over the "original" VR, esp. the 18-200. ; The original 70-200 and 80-400, yes. ; But not for that lens.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Roger is correct. ; The 18-200VR was one of the first VRII lenses Nikon made. ; The II is for the added switch for Active VR which you would use if you were photographing from a moving vehicle like a car, train or amusement park ride which I have been known to do on occasion. ; The first 18-200VR that I have creeps if you don't have it set in the 18mm position while walking. ; By creeps, I mean it will extend out to 200mm all by itself. ; The new lens has the zoom lock which prevents that.

If you can find a good used one like at KEH, eBay or local camera store, you would save yourself some money and not loose much in getting a new one.

5. HW

HW Member

ok thanx guys

6. Roger

I think the confusion is from Nikon not labeling the old 18-200 with VRII while the new one is. ; And *BOTH* are still listed at nikonusa.com.

7. HW

HW Member

am so glad I got some lens to hold me while I look around. I got an older nikon lens a few weeks ago off craigs list. a nikon 70-210 af-d for 100 in very good shape. keh has it for 165. I will sell it eventually and put the money into the 18-200

8. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

mine creeps too, but I really dont care. I think that whole complaint kind of got overblown. I'm not sure how much I would want my lens to be "locked" down anyway, one more thing I would have to think about before getting a picture. I can barely remember all the settings as it is!

9. HW

HW Member

well it arrived. put in a charged battery and now time to RTFM and lots of coffee and some smooth jazz. having the d80 sure makes it somewhat easier to set things up but some new things I never seen before. thanx for all the help TMIPers

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

Lens creep isn't a problem unless you're shooting downward at something holding with one hand[nb]Michael broke every rule of proper camera holding on that one... ; ::)[/nb] while holding a flash in your other hand because you don't have a VAL nearby... ;

11. Roger

I'm surprised my 28-105 doesn't creep. ; I do have a "lock" on it though - the macro focus setting. ; If you are in the macro zone and the focus is on an area in the macro zone, it won't let you zoom back to the 28-50mm area...until you switch it to normal and focus out of the macro zone. ; Every now and then it's frustrating, but the cost of that lens v. a dedicated macro are worth it.

12. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i was gonna say the same thing but you beat me to it...

13. HW

HW Member

Tim, it is squeeze the trigger. not pull it. you are not listening to your range master!!!

14. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Yes, and I have a "finger in register" with your name on it, my friend. ;

15. HW

HW Member

I have a finger too and it is standing straight up giving you the old eisenhower salute