POTD - Wide Open

Discussion in 'Picture of the Day' started by Jeff Fillmore, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

35mm f/1.8 1/20 sec ISO 1600

[​IMG]

Click the pic for Flickr

2. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

In my life, I have always been surrounded by boys and men. ; I have 4 brothers, 4 nephews, 3 sons...you get the picture. ; My house is decorated in woodsy, earthy, manly man tones. ; But there is one place that remains girly and it always will. ; It's where I go to escape and is the only place in the house where I can be alone. ; Ahhhh, off I go then...

50mm/1.8

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

3. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

14-24 @2.8

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  4. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Gotta love those pesky squirrels...

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Tamron 90mm F2.8 @ 2.8:

[​IMG]

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

28-105D, @ 105 f/4.5, in the macro zone:

[​IMG]

7. zackiedawg

Lens: Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro
    Exif: ISO800, 1/160 shutter, F2.8:

[expando]http://s3.amazonaws.com/masters.galleries.dpreview.com/221920.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=14Y3MT0G2J4Y72K3ZXR2&Expires=1272864632&Signature=R1BIV0n5fU5v4JrXwee44ie2GqE%3d[/expando]

My cat Mickey watching squirrels out the living room window - you can see the stepping stones and red lava gravel running behind the front wall in the reflection in her eye.

8. HW

HW Member

that is some shallow DOF Justin.

9. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Man I love the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 wide open. ; Here's our new pup we get to bring home in a few weeks.

[​IMG]

10. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Cute Pup! ; And nice use of the shallow DOF.

What breed?

Boris

11. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Thanks- Bichon Frise

Here's a couple more at f1.4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. zackiedawg

Wide open is a lot of fun on pets - the super-narrow DOF makes for an interesting sliver of detail, and somehow seems to enhance the feeling of smallness on small animals, even when used in closeup. ; Cute dog!

13. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

The problem I have with my dog is that he looks away when I am trying to focus on him. ; For some reason, he will be looking straight at me, but as I try to compose/focus, he looks away. ; I think there must be some aversion to the camera.

Regards,

Boris

14. zackiedawg

Try it with a cat...attention span of...well, a cat. ; Mine looks at me for about 1/4 second when I make a noise, sees I have the camera pointed at her, and immediately looks away. ; Either that, or walks towards me and sticks her nose in the camera lens. ; It isn't easy. ; With my dog, at least if I made a 'What's that?' in a whispery urgent tone, he'd throw up his ears and stare intently for a few seconds listening and looking for something...enough to snap a shot. ; The cat responds to 'What's that' by darting off towards a window to look for a squirrel...no delay or pause at all. ; I've learned to get shots of the cat closeup requires being AT the window waiting when she gets there!

15. Roger

The wildflowers I think may have peaked at the Preserve....

But the water has brought lots of Damselflies. ; And one Dragonfly:

[​IMG]

28-105D, @105mm, f/4.5, in the macro zone

16. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Great shots everyone. ; Jeff, I am so loving the whole puppy thing. :-*

Got this shot yesterday by laying flat on my belly in the middle of the woods between my house and my neighbor's. ; If anyone knows what these little plants are, please let me know! ; They are only about 3 or 4 inches tall and grow in the woods and they look like tiny umbrellas.

[​IMG]

17. zackiedawg

Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro, 1/15 at F2.8, ISO3200...left it unprocessed as I liked the graininess:

[​IMG]

[expando]http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/123417356/original.jpg[/expando]

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Doggie treats (click photo to see who's bowl this belongs to.)

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/50mm, 1/15s, f/1.8, ISO 640, EV +1

19. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

70-200 @ 2.8

[​IMG]

20. Roger

Love the contrast there Jeff!