F1 in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Roger, May 27, 2010.

1. ELinder

ELinder Member

I got the survey too. Very strange ticket price variations in that survey. They've had computer simulations of the grounds, they should have shown the views for each area in the descriptions. What worries me is if they think they're going to be charging up to $600 for the areas they asked about, what are they going to charge for the "premium" grandstands??

Erich

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

3. ELinder

ELinder Member

Strange, I haven't gotten an email notification from CoA yet.

Erich

4. Roger

The track just tweeted. Their prices are online and sales begin on June 10!

5. Roger

You should have received the email this afternoon. ; Email list people can buy the tix before the official sale date.

6. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I just read the presale email. ; I wish I knew for sure if I could go or not. ; Tickets are pretty steep compared to Indy, but then practice and qualifying days at IMS are the best bargains around.

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

I finally got the email too. They may have priced us out of going.

Erich

8. Roger

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Haven't we heard this same story before, only with Austin instead of New Jersey?

10. Roger

Yes.

11. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

And here I was in NJ hoping that I might have a chance to see this. ; Good thing you guys are here to keep me in the loop!

12. Roger

COTA's banned most cameras at the track!

Their rules are no video cameras, no video recording of any kind, no lenses longer than 10 inches AND no detachable lenses of ANY kind.

/trying to figure out a P&S that a lens longer than 10 inches or any camera that has a non-detachable lens of more than 10 inches....

13. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

A Fuji XS-1 might fit the bill...it has a fixed lens, the lens (when compacted in the body) is less than 10 inches, and yet it has a huge 26x optical zoom range and relatively large 2/3" sensor (for a superzoom).

I wonder if they'd realize certain mirrorless cameras are actually detachable lens systems - M4:3 cameras and NEX cameras can look like some fancy P&S to the untrained eye, so maybe some of those might slip through security.

14. Roger

I just don't understand their reasoning - I don't think they are going to look at a camera with a retracted lens length...but I think you are right about the mirrorless; they will probably let them through.

Comments on FB are interesting. ; This is the most restrictive camera policy at any F1 race. ; I don't mind the no-interchangeable lens policy...on race day. (This is similar to many pro sports venues - any P&S, even a super zoom is fine with them) ; They should allow any camera on the trials. ; Period.

15. Roger

COTA cries uncle, allows any lens less than 10"

LOL, they just posted this on FB:

In response to fan feedback, Circuit of The Americas has updated the list of prohibited items for the FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX, Nov. 16-18, 2012.

Patrons with still cameras featuring detachable lenses smaller than 10 inches in length WILL BE permitted on site during the Grand Prix event. However, detachable camera lenses longer than 10 inches will be prohibited.

16. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

That sounds better. ; Now, the question is: ; If you have a 9" prime lens that will look 14" long with the lens hood attached, could you get by with the lens hood reversed, and then put it on once in? ; And second question: ; If you have a 9" lens, could you get by with a 1.4x or 2x TC in a pocket, and attach that once inside? ; It follows the lens under 10" rule, though would be over 10" with the TC attached, and the lens hood extended.

Hmmm...all the ways one could try to flout the rules!!

In the end it's semi-ironic, as the intent which one would presume to be avoiding someone from getting unauthorized press-access through the standard crowd access, or for privacy protection of drivers, celebs, etc that the longer lenses could theoretically reach...yet it's the superzoom P&S cameras with their 800+mm equivalencies that actually can more readily zoom in from the stands to the starlet smooching with the F1 driver in the pits, or the pit crew doing something unseemly or ungentlemanly during the race...even some 10" DSLR lenses can't get as close in as some superzooms can!

17. Roger

<sigh>

They have the rules but I doubt security will have a ruler. ; I'm willing to bet that if you have a white lens that looks 10" or longer they will ban it. ; Black lenses may get through at 11". ; (The Nikon 70-200/2.8 is not even 9" long, and the 80-400 is under 7"...10 inches is a lot...)

Nikon 200-400 is 14"

The Canon 300/2.8 IS is 9.8"
    Nikon's is 10.5"

The new rule is okay in my book.

18. gary

gary Member

so under this new ruling i can take in my bag with several L lenses, including the 70-300 which retracted to the 70 end is well under 10 inches, assuming i put the lens hood reversed or better yet just in the bag, and the 5dmk3 body does not count towards length as its not lens. ; why do they bother, as long as you are not ruining the experience for others or hitting another guest in the head swinging the lens around what difference does it make?

19. Roger

Because they want 100% of the revenue from the first F1 race in the U.S. in several years....and you can't make money on video/stills if they are all over FB etc...

20. ELinder

ELinder Member

Pffft. Yet another decision I have to roll my eyes over. Well, they've lost a few customers. We will not be going this race even tho we went to every F1 race at Indy.

Erich