Disney Dream 4-Night Cruise

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Photos / Lost Attractions/ Cast Mem' started by Scottwdw, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I will be posting my photos of the cruise here. ; I wrote up a trip report on my blog today: Disney Dream Cruise Trip Report. I will be sharing more photos from the cruise as I get them processed. ; Hope you enjoy them!

The bow of the Disney Dream as we leave Port Canaveral and head out to sea.
    [​IMG]

First port of call, Nassau. ; Took the Nassau Forts and Junkanoo Discovery excursion. ; You do not have much time at the two forts but the Junkanoo Discovery is a riot.
    [​IMG]
    Fort Fincastle by Scottwdw, on Flickr

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Nice, I have never done anything in Nassau except walk around for about an hour on one trip. ; Sounds like you had a good time though.

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I wish we had more time at the first Fort. ; I had to quickly take photos before they moved us over to the Queen's Staircase. ; I did a quick set of photos for a pano which did not come out that great. The Junkanoo place was a great time. I'll post more from there later this week.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

We learned about the Junkanoo festival at the Ivern House later on the Nassau Forts and Junkanoo Discovery excursion. Junkanoo is a colorful festival held every year in the Bahamas at midnight on Christmas featuring large costumes made of paper products and music made from cow bells and drums.

These are Off the Shoulder Junkanoo costumes made of paper products. ; They can be up to 10 feet tall (the ceiling was 10 feet high in this room) and weigh up to 70 pounds.

[​IMG]

Ringing the cow bells and playing of drums is a big part of the Junkanoo celebration. The kids in our group took it to heart when they were told to make some noise with the cow bells. ; :D While we started out as making noise, they had us playing a real tune before we left.
    [​IMG]
    Junkanoo Fun by Scottwdw, on Flickr

The costumes can be political, for fun or to ask for help. ; This one named Ice Angel was worn by the wife of the couple who were our hosts in 2009. ; That was a rough year for the Bahamas which rely heavily on tourism. ; With the world gripped in an economic downturn, they felt wishing for a cold winter would help bring back tourists.
    [​IMG]

Pepsi makes special Junkanoo sodas just for the festival. ; I liked Champagne the best of the three. Wonder if I can talk my plant into making it. ; ;)
    [​IMG]

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Another view from Fort Fincastle. ; This time to the south where the Water Tower is. ; We would have had an opportunity to go up to it's top but it was being worked on.

[​IMG]

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

May I interest you in a cocktail from the Skyline?

[​IMG]
    New Yorker at Skyline by Scottwdw, on Flickr

I used a bean bag and timer release to steady the camera and get a low angle. ; I bought this drink because of the glow cube to add a bit of a color punch. ; The liquid in the glass had it's own punch!

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

As it gets late and the kids have finished running from their programs back to their families, the high lobby of the Disney Dream gets very quiet with only the tunes of the night piano player finishing up his last set filling the void.

[​IMG]
    Everything Grand by Scottwdw, on Flickr

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very nice Scott, do you use a tripod? ; Or just do the best you can with railing?

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

That one was done by steadying myself against the railing before I got my tripod out. ; I think too long an exposure might have had too much movement from the piano player. ; Which my wife and I gave a round of applause, too. ; The only ones in the lobby at the time. ; He was appreciative.

10. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Nice shots so far, Scott. ; Lovely ship - I always love taking shots around the ship, especially at night when there's very few people around - it's a cruise ritual for me! ; Nice to see Nassau from unjaded eyes - I have been there so many times that I tend to blow it off, and don't really look around, take tours, or see anything to photograph. ; It's there, but I've just become too familiar with it and approach any stops there with a bit of routine (catch a boat over to Atlantis, walk the straw market, or hit the beach out on the strand)...and I take it too much for granted probably walking past photo opportunities constantly.

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Characters at Sea

Pluto
    [​IMG]

Goofy
    [​IMG]

Tiana
    [​IMG]

Cinderella
    [​IMG]

Hades in Villians Tonight
    [​IMG]

Ursula in Villians Tonight
    [​IMG]

Captain Jack Sparrow
    [​IMG]

Not technically a Disney character but Chef Ingo from Germany sure acted like one! Taken during the dessert buffet in Cabanas after the Pirate Night fireworks and show.
    [​IMG]

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I approach every destination like a travel photographer. ; I picked the excursion as I liked that it had an activity as well as a good views of the island. ; The history of the forts and the Junkanoo festival were very interesting. ; However, I would have liked more time at Fort Fincastle and the Queen's Staircase. ; Fort Charlotte could have been easily skipped.

13. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Love the shot of Cinderella with the girl.

14. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Nice ones Scott! ; I really like the one of Goofy best. ; Where did you take that from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

That was on Deck 12 in the Adult area. ; I took it from the other side where the stairs down to the pool are. ; I liked how they were adults having just as much fun with him as kids would.

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Adult area? ; Never seen it! ; Well, never enjoyed it, but taking a 3 day in 2013 for the anniversary without the daughter, so adult areas and Palo finally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Decks 11 & 12 forward, John. ; Very nice area to relax in. ; Palo is excellent!!! ; Ate there on this cruise.

18. Will G

Will G Member

Hope you don’t take any offense, Scott, but on a whim I doctored your shot with Goofy.
    I often find reality just a little offensive to my esthetics and I thought your shot would make a good brochure type photo depicting the fun to be had on board with the characters and crew. ; But I didn’t like the space between the photographer and the couple with Goofy.
    So , here –

[attachimg=1]

A quick doctoring – not perfect - but in a brochure, who would notice?
    Blow it up and – whoops.

Thanks for sharing, Scott.
    Beautiful pictures.

Will G

Attached Files:

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

No problem, Will. ; Definitely a more intimate photo. ; I am sure Disney photographer would have chosen a better day and a better angle. ; Still, it's fun to play one while vacationing.

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's some miscellaneous photos to close out the thread. ; Thank you all for your comments and views. ; The next cruise will be in 2014 and hoping to head up north to Alaska.

Teens getting in some Fooseball on Goofy's Sports Deck.
    [​IMG]

Sail Away party in full swing as the Dream leaves Port Canaveral.
    [​IMG]

The Port Canaveral Pilot boat coming along side of the Dream. ; Could not see the pick up but this shows how fast the Dream was going once it cleared port.
    [​IMG]

My wife gives you an idea how big those stacks are.
    [​IMG]

Fun with a UWA lens.
    [​IMG]

The Adult area on Decks 11 & 12 for John.
    [​IMG]

Pink!
    [​IMG]