A walk from the TTC to the Poly to the Grand Floridian

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Craig, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

If Craig doesn't have it, I will have mine. Hit me up, if it's not on my camera, you are welcome to use it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Craig, what can I say. These are AWESOME! Great job! I of course love the shots of the Poly, but the GF shots are spectacular as well. That 11mm really is a huge advantage in that giant lobby.

3. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Scott,

That's very generous of you as well! I wonder what that sucker will do with the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights

4. scpergj

scpergj Member

Craig

Thanks for the link...I'll have to see about renting one, since it's going to be a while before SWMBO will free up funds to purchase one!

I really like the latest pics you posted, too. Most excellent!

I really like the brightness of the colors on the pictures - I'm going to guess you're playing with white balance and such?

Kevin

5. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Thanks!
    I played a little. I shot the GF with +.5 EV because the lighting is contrasty in the afternoon in there. I lifted the shadows a little on the computer, and adjusted the white balance off the columns and such.

6. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Craig taught me a really cool tip on how to set the white balance when we got to visit with him and Dina during their June trip

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Are you going to divulge it? The really cool tip, I mean. ;)

8. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Craig - absolutely gorgeous shots. You are making that lens sing - brilliant colors, brilliant contrast, wonderful compositions. You MUST add it to your collection!

I agree, and I also have to update you on another place in Disney that uses a french press - and in my opinion with the absolute greatest available coffee anywhere in Disney, as well as one of the best beans on earth - Jiko in the AK Lodge. Always with the press at the table, and using the finest Kenya AA Roast beans - some of the most flavorful, strong, rich, wonderful coffee beans there are. I've been drinking the same combination at home for many years - Kenya AA or Tanzania beans in a french press.

The Kona is great too - a much smoother, sweeter, less strong coffee good for accompanying breakfast or mellowing out.

9. gary

gary Member

mousefest 2009, coffee's of the world meet
    the search for the best cuppa joe in the world
    hosted by gary & zackiedawg

10. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I'm in! You can host the morning coffee meet, and I'll host the nighttime coffee meet. ;)

11. Craig

Thanks so much Justin! :)

12. Craig

On mine and Ray's D80's to pre-set the white balance you have to dive through a bunch of menus which is annoying while you are in the middle of shooting. But on Nikon's when you set your WB button to "pre" and then press and hold the WB button, the top LCD starts flashing, you can then press the shutter to pre-set the WB. It works much faster. This is what you would do when using a white card, or Tim's expodisc, which he talked about HERE

BUT, that being said, I have never had to do that on the D300!! the D300 is absolutely WONDERFUL to shoot with. I have shot it on auto WB since day 1. On maybe 10 photos have I selected a different WB setting. I don't even have auto WB set to +/-.
    I tweaked the WB and saturation on almost every shot on the D80.
    If and when Tim upgrades to the New Canon 5d, he may never need his expodisc again!

13. I like the expodisc! Ive been having trouble getting the right white balance on my pics (especially since I like my colors a little more saturated so I tried using a user defined setting but my whites look a little yellow). My best results so far, the day I took my camera to school to take pictures of the kids in their costumes. I took a picture of a white piece of fabric in my room and then custom set my WB to that picture. I just wish the expodisc wasnt 80 bucks!

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You can get expodisc knockoffs on eBay for less than $10. Do a search for "expodisc" and they will show up.

15. Is that what this is? Ebay link- Expodisc...

What do you think Scott?

Hmm still time to get this before I leave!

16. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

you can still order expodisc from b&h and have it in plenty of time for mousefest. i am not a fan of ebay knockoffs even if the price is much cheaper. too much variation in quality for my liking.

17. Tim,
    I would order the expodisc now in a heartbeat except the price. And my family is kind of in the no buy zone right now- were not allowed to buy anything for ourselves between my birthday and Christmas. Put it on your Christmas list although 80 bucks is kind of expensive for something to put on my list!
    See you at Mousefest!