Wishes

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by DisneyDame, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Woo hoo! Thank you Tim!

Thank you dawholagn. The other visitors were exceptionally nice that night. Virtually nobody stood up in front of me. When somebody standing up, the rest of the crowd yelled and tell the person to sit down. So after the first several seconds, literally everybody (myself included) sat on the ground. There were a also quite a number of tripods that night, moreso than usual.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

I'm forever envious! I practically had to wrestle the balloon vendor to the ground to get some of my shots! :D

3. joedisney

joedisney Member

This is my favorite Wishes photo, taken from the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station. Me and my wife were able to get there about an hour early and had seats right at the railing. Shot with canon 20D/17-40mm f4 on a tripod with shutter cable.
    [​IMG]

4. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Very nice, joedisney!

Anybody else notice that most of our favorite shots take place at the same time during the show. It's kind of fascinating. That being said, I'm reall happy to see so many renditions of it. :)

5. joedisney

joedisney Member

Thanks! I like to call those the feather fireworks :)

6. Ok, I think I'll finally take the plunge and throw in my first few contributions to the site. Two of my most recent Wishes shots, taken this Sunday at MouseFest. This was my first attempt at shooting Wishes with a tripod.

In keeping with the "feather fireworks" trend:
    [​IMG]

And then one to be different. My girlfriend calls these ones towards the end of the show her "pretty ones", and so I took this picture for her.
    [​IMG]

And yes, I know there are all sorts of people and things in the way, but we kind of chose the spot last minute as the show was already starting, and I didn't get much chance to be very picky-choosey. Also, I have a low-budget mini-Walmart tripod that extends to a whopping 44 inches tall, so it doesn't exactly reach over the heads of many other than small children.

Also, these were taken using my Sony Cybershot DSC-P92 compact point-n-shoot, just for reference.

7. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Very nice all - here are a few of mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

awesome hidden mickey in the smoke....

9. The mickey-head smoke is a digital add-on, no? :eek:

10. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Yes- I think there was a little something there to begin with but it was definately enhanced.

11. handicap18

handicap18 Member

Here are my 2 favorites. Some of you may have seen these before. These are from my 2nd try at getting Wishes pic. First night was a disaster. Bad spot, mis-focus and some guy who refused to sit down. He was the only one in the area standing,,,, grrrrrr

2nd time I got a spot 2 hours before the show and things went sooo much better:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone think of switching aperture to f/22 for the Finale? With all the extra light would that f/stop help with seperating the streaks more and give less of a blown out look? Any thoughts on that option?

12. Tim

f/22 would work in cutting light as long as you are on a manual exposure... if you are on any other mode, the camera is going to adjust to compensate. and if you are using a digital slr, at f/22 you are going to see EVERY bit of dust you might have on your sensor. but you are right, f/22 and ISO 100 is about a low as you are going to get as far as exposure goes.

13. handicap18

handicap18 Member

I got the idea from another board. I saw a pic of what I'm almost sure was taken during the finale, but it was very clear, exif showed 5 seconds and f/22 with a D70s IIRC. I tried to confirm if it was during the finale, but never got a response. While there was a ton of light, it wasn't blown out at all, it looked great. The one's I took at 5 sec and f/10 were not usable at all (I use a Nikon D50). Though I think I had ISO 800, not 200. I'm going to try it on our next trip in Nov and see what I can come up with.

14. I like the first shot a lot. It's so very absolutely marvelous.

15. AUBandPilot

AUBandPilot Member

Here's one I took back in December...

[​IMG]

This photo was 2 seconds at f/20 & ISO 100.

Tim, this was during our shot of Wishes before your photo tour.

16. Tim

that was certainly a good time, my friend.

17. drool! if only I can poster-sized this pic!!!

18. AUBandPilot

AUBandPilot Member

Thanks, Kelly. That really means a lot coming from someone with your experience and expertise.

19. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

20. Tim

i know they say the 'sweet spot' is from f/8 to f/11, more or less. generally, it's about 2-3 stops from wide open to 2-3 stops from fully stopped down, so i guess that range is right in play.