Wild Africa Trek

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by Scottwdw, Jan 1, 2012.

1. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice shots! ; Thanks for the in-depth review of the tour. ; I'd love to do this someday... I just need to figure out how to safely carry the 200-400 with me

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I was thinking about how to get a big lens on the tour. ; If you mount it on the camera the whole time and secure it via a strap, they should allow it. ; The vests have a couple of clamps (see my pic) you could secure it with to take weight off your neck. ; I could have done it with the 80-400VR as it is more compact then the 200-400. ; Next time, I will definitely have it on the camera. ; That extra 100mm would have come in handy for the cheetahs.

3. gary

gary Member

well this'll be a good test of my gh2 with the 100-300 on it. we are booked on 4/19/12, for 0845, it's my anniversary present to karen, i booked the dak backstage tour for our anniversary trip 3 years ago and she loved it, still talks about it. and this is a trip where only the mirrorless system goes

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

That will be another great test for that setup, Gary, although after the last trip I think it has proven itself quite well.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

The problem for me is that the 200-400 is so heavy that suspending it from the camera could damage the camera. ; I've heard stories of big lenses tearing the lens mount out of the camera body and don't want to take a chance on it. ; I would need to rig a camera strap directly to the lens which is not difficult to do, but would take some thought on how to do it so the lens pointed down and ; so the camera body is not bouncing around all the time. ; I'll worry about it once I figure out if I'm attending this year or not[nb]Current plan is to attend a photo charter on the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad in Chama, NM in October with a side trip to Great Sand Dunes NP. ; If that trip doesn't happen I'll probably be at Pixelmania[/nb]

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

that never occurred to me when carrying the sigmonster, but then again i usually use the tripod collar/foot as a handle so as to re-redistribute the weight. ; on this tour, i wonder how much it would have to dangle... ; we'll find out soon, i am sure.

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

When I carry my 70-200, I just screw the Blackrapid strap connector into the tripod mount of the lens. ; It's perfectly balanced. ; Not sure how that would work with a bigger lens, though. ; I'm sure my shoulder would be sore for a week.

8. Tim

Oooh, good call Dennis. ; That's a great idea.

9. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I do the same thing. ; Seems to work fine and you don't have to unscrew it to use a tripod.

10. Tim

i just realized that you can leave a rc2 connector on the camera/lens collar and just clip the strip to the metal loop on the bottom[nb]duh![/nb]

11. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

12. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

13. Tim

14. Tim

Got the FastenR-T1's in the mail the other day. ; Took about 3 minutes to do the retrofit. ; Just make sure you have a small flathead screwdriver to put the C-Clamps off the old bolt and onto the new one.

Interestingly, I had to remove the padding from the mounting plate (I use the anti-twist RC2 plates) because the new bolts weren't quite as long as the original. ; Shouldn't be an issue because I plan on putting them on and just leaving them on.

Again, for those who want to order some of the retrofit kits, CLICK HERE

15. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Will these fit on any mount, or are they specific to the Manfrotto one?

16. Tim

They are for Manfrotto RC-2