Wide angle and straight lines

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Craig, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I discovered something in August using the Tokina 11-16. On these two shots, with long vertical lines, I did NOT hold my camera anywhere near "straight"!
    For both of these shots, I was holding the camera very crooked to make sure that the long vertical lines are as straight to the edge as possible.

I dont care about how the rest of the image looks, since our eyes cant pick up on the other angles, or the other lines just dont matter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I had the same issue with the 11-16 on our August trip, although I didn't always remember to correct this issue and have had to do it in post processing sometimes. ;

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I often stuck to the same technique with my 10-24 this past week - these rectilinear UWAs are amazing at keeping the distortion controlled at such wide angles with regards to straight lines, but ONLY if those lines are kept on the horizontal or vertical. ; As soon as you introduce a little tilt or angle, the effect gets very funky. ; That said, I did actually use the effect on purpose at times, when I wanted the distorted look to make something more pronounced. ; But for scenics, buildings, etc, keeping the main lines on the vertical alignment is definitely the way to go with rectilinear lenses.

The rectilinear type UWAs are great for getting architectural shots from very close, and as long as you hold them level, you can get basically no distortion at all on the horizontal and vertical lines:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a few I wanted the distorted look on, just for fun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Justin, great shots! ; I particularly like the Poly Lobby! ;)