When will it happen at Disney?

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Sean&Karen, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Okay i am sure everyone knows what happened to Boston and my heart goes out to all the people affected by this and i hope they get the person or persons and string them up by their nads

Something does make we wonder, That this event had a tons of police, a ; ton of first responders which is why it isn't as bad as it could have been.... but something like this could easily happen at a Disney running event, or in a Park.

Everyone says Disney has the best security and during 911 the government went to Disney to find out how they do Security .. but It just takes one nut earning minimum wage to take a backpack in and then make a phone call.....

How safe do you feel? Do you see someone targeting a big attraction at Disney to "make a point"?

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I don't think the incident severity was reduced by the presence of the police et al; rather it was a failure of additional detonations. ; I'm sure that the intent was there to have the responders injured by a secondary blast (or two or three) ; This is nothing new; in 1998 I was trained on responding to meth houses and watching for booby traps there.

But as to safety at Disney....the only reason really Disney would be a true target is if they were able to take down an iconic symbol, such as the castle. ; With the exception of Disneyland, there just isn't enough places where people are congregated in one place to truly be a concern. ; With the amount of work needed to sneak something through security there isn't a big enough payoff.

My big concern is how Disney will react. ; Regional theme parks have had metal detectors for decades; Disney has still resisted that urge...Sea World and Universal follow Disney's lead with bag checks right now. ; Will they scrutinize bags more closely? ; Ask people to take pictures with their camera and see the images on the back? ; Who knows.

3. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Hey I know if they are checking my bags then they are checking other peoples bags and since I have nothing to hide I am okay with that.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Just don't try to bring Maple Syrup into the park... ; (Pixelmania 2)

5. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

6. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I think you can ask "When will this happen...", but really something like this could potentially happen anywhere. ; Incomprehensible violence exists whether it be at a school or a church or a movie theater. ; And if you let yourself live in fear of the possibility of violence happening, you might as well build a bunker in northern alaska. ; I feel completely safe at Disney. ; Could it happen? Maybe. ; Am I going to let that sway my decisions? ; No way.

Sent by using Tapatalk...

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

My wife said the same exact thing, Red.

8. gary

gary Member

when we stop living lives of free choice , terrorists have won, whether domestic or foreign. they oppose our lifestyle and wish to force us into ways not acceptable to me. I for one will never yield

9. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Count me among those with no thoughts of fear regarding going to Disney, or frankly anywhere else in the U.S. ; Despite the cowardly attempts to terrorize, the easiest way to win the battle against terrorism is to not be terrorized...the intended reaction is fear, so if you do not allow fear to dictate what you do, with whom, where, and when, they've failed. ; There are certainly more dangerous places to be in the world than in the U.S., and Disney is even safer than a good portion of the U.S. ; I don't play the 'could it happen' game, because the answer is obvious (of course it could!), but if you played out the odds you'd realize there's no need to even worry a hair on your head over it. ; How many people were attending the Marathon...tens of thousands? ; And of those who were at the event that was attacked at the time it occurred - a hundred and fifty, maybe two hundred, were injured or killed. ; Out of tens of thousands. ; Play the odds further - how many people were in Boston that day? What's the population of the U.S.?

When you break down the odds, what are the chances on any given day in the United States that YOU will be injured or killed by a terrorist attack? ; Even on 9/11, when thousands were killed, the U.S. population exceeds 300,000,000...on 9/11/01, the chance you would have been killed by a terrorist attack was something like 1 in a million...and that was the worst day we've ever known for terrorism. ; Yesterday the chances of being injured in a terrorist attack in the US was more like 1 in a hundred million. ; If you think you should be worried based on those odds, then maybe you ought to buy some lottery cards - they've got much better odds. ; Ever wonder how many ways you could die that have better odds than that? ; Car accident? ; Heart attack? ; Lightning strike? ; Shooting/robbery gone wrong?

It's simply not worth being afraid of. ; And it's not worth fulfilling the goal of a terrorist by giving them the pleasure of my fear. ; Better to smile in their cowardly faces, and not change one iota of my life as a free and happy American (and Brit).

10. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Personally, I think that if an attack was meant to incur psychological damage to the American public, an attack on Walt Disney World or Disneyland would probably have more success than any other target on the planet. ; It's all due to the successful job the company has done with branding themselves as not only the "Happiest place on Earth" but also a quintessential family place.

But I've already read a good 4-5 articles in the past hour by experts in their fields (former Secret Service, FBI, Homeland Security, etc) that have said that it's impossible to guarantee safety. ; Some went as far to say that safety is an illusion that Americans hold onto dearly that most of the world let go of generations ago (think IRA bombings in UK).

My family was required to go through training provided by the US Embassy when we moved to South East Asia back in the 1980's and a good part of it was how to be cautiously aware of our surroundings because Americans are always targets of violence. ; Did I live in fear...no. ; But you tended to be more aware of places one shouldn't go without trusted companions