What's for dinner at your house?

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by hulagirl, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

and of course DESSERTS!!!

some candies from the contemporary:
    [attachimg=1]

cookies inspired by the contemporary. the bottom is from the hotel, and the top one Dina made!
    [attachimg=2]

and speaking of peeps.....some coffee with peeps:
    [attachimg=3]

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Hmmm...never thought of throwing peeps in coffee or hot chocolate! ; Nice thinking.

All the meals look fantastic Craig...so when are we all supposed to stop by for dinner?

3. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Oh man! ; I really love this game! :D

Craig...I so want to come to your house for dinner. ; Especially on pizza night!

And peeps in coffee? ; What a GREAT idea!!!!

4. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Oh my gosh - I'm starving now!!!

5. Craig

Tonight Dina made mushroom won-tons with sesame teryiaki sauce!
    this is a great game Roni!

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

6. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

I'm glad you like this game, Craig, because I sure am enjoying when it's your turn. :) ; Those won-tons look really yummy! ; Okay...last weekend, I was all alone.(everyone say awwww, boo hoo) ; Husband and oldest son on a road trip to Michigan. ; Two youngest sons spending the night at their grandmother's house. ; I had a lovely pork tenderloin that needed to be cooked and my first thought was nah, not by myself... but then I figured, well..why not? ; I actually enjoyed it and the boys were happy with the leftovers when they got home. Here it is...

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

beautiful, roni. ; we are having leftovers, but i do see some guinness in my near future. ; film at 11.

8. Ryan

Ryan Member

Some room service...

9. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Hey Ryan...room service is SO the best. :D ; I love it when somebody else cooks it and then cleans up after it too!

10. Craig

Here are some dinners from Dina:

Pasta with avocado almond cream sauce:
    [attachimg=1]

Mexican Pizza with cajun gumbo veggies:
    [attachimg=2]

teriyaki bbq fish eggrolls:
    [attachimg=3]

Korean bbq rolls with ginger lime dressed greens:
    [attachimg=4]

11. Craig

and the other night, this recipe is from Jiko, and Dina cooks it for me for my birthday every year, leg of lamb with berber sauce roasted in a tagine:
    [attachimg=1]

and here it is plated over roasted vegetable couscous and steamed broccoli:
    [attachimg=2]

and tonights was, Jamaican Jerk pasta with sauteed vegetables and honey mustard chicken:
    [attachimg=3]

12. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Oh. My. ; I am in funky food heaven and it's only breakfast time.

Ask and I shall receive...hmm, Craig? ; Yummy stuff. ; Does Dina give cooking lessons? ; I thought I was a good cook but I bow to the master. :)

13. ELinder

ELinder Member

Forget the lessons, I just want an invitation to eat at his house!

Erich

14. Craig

thanks!
    and to top it off, Dina has worked very hard to cut way back on oils and calories too!

15. zackiedawg

Well I finally have a contribution to this thread, other than salivating over other people's stuff.

Mine isn't presented or served fancy, nor photographed as artfully as Craig's. ; And likely not considered 'healthy' by anyone's book.

Had the opportunity to do 'family' dinner with mom and grandma, when they whip out the Italian dishes that I love. ; Mom decided to whip up chicken parmesan, one of her best dishes (all from scratch of course...pound out your own chicken, make your own breading, make your own sauce from the tomato, reducing and adding all day from morning, fresh soft imported mozzarella, razor-sliced garlic by hand). ; Thinking of this thread, I grabbed my ultracompact and fired off a shot:

[attachimg=1]

Wonderful meal, wonderful sides, and afterwards the oompa loompas rolled me home while singing something about eating too much.

Attached Files:

16. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

Hey Justin! ; Glad you thought to take a pic. :) ; My husband's family is Italian and they can cook! ; I love the all day prep feasts. ; Man oh man, is there a difference. ; I bet that chicken parm was the best, made like that. ; The description sure was!

Yum!

17. zackiedawg

Indeed it was. ; Ironically, my family is almost all Irish, both sides...with some American Indian on my mother's side. ; But they all grew up in New Jersey and New York, in lower class neighborhoods where the Irish were lumped in with the other reject immigrants, the Italians...with your neighbors and friends all sharing ethnic traditions, foods, and language, those from the lower-class NY/NJ neighborhoods all end up coming out so alike you can hardly tell an Irish from an Italian from a Jew...and thanks to the Italians, they ALL know how to cook (because Irish food and Jewish food aren't quite as universally loved!). ; So my Irish family cooks in the finest Italian tradition.

It's actually something I miss about growing up in low-class New Jersey...the old brick neighborhood was a big ethnic soup and all family - you had your Jewish deli and your Syrian baker and your Italian butcher and your Irish bar...all the low immigrants on the totem pole squeezed into these poor little neighborhoods, yet filled with such joy and life!

(Now I'm in some rich money enclave with a completely different attitude - Jewish bankers and lawyers, Syrian real estate moguls, Irish politicians, Italian restaraunt entrepreneurs...everyone with a big gate or fence up, noone talks to eachother, everything is delivered, and big mega-wharehouses supply everything. ; Money buys a whole lot of convenience and luxury, but it can't replicate that old-world neighborhood vibe).

18. Craig

Awesome Justin! that looks delicious!
    Welcome to the Food thread!!!!!!!
    What wine did you enjoy with this wonderful meal?

I can never figure out how to play with you and Paul on the numbers thread, but I love this one Roni started!!!!

19. Craig

Here was my birthday dinner the other night:
    Ratatouille Pizza with homemade fresh Basil cream sauce and plenty of roasted veggies and garlic:
    [attachimg=1]

And here it is plated sitting on a bed of baby greens with herbed lime vinaigrette:
    [attachimg=2]

And Saturday night was Schezuan garlic black bean dip with baked wontons:
    [attachimg=3]

Attached Files:

20. zackiedawg

Ah...a little South African wine with the Schezhuan food, I see! ; We're not much of a fancy-wine folk...so we tend towards simple, flavorful, fruity reds with a hint of spice...especially with Italian sauces. ; Ours was a basic little Italian sangiovese, Il Bastardo. ; It's cheap, easy-drinking table wine...perfect for a big Italian meal!