What themes do you photograph?

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Scottwdw, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Watched Art Wolfe's first creativeLIVE webinar today. ; Art talked about how he always has a collection/project/theme he is working on which helps to keep him inspired and avoid photographer block. ; He went on to say he usually has a few of these going at one time. ; Most of the time they end up as books. ; He gave three examples: Dogs in Cultures around the World, Hair and Vanishing Animals (how animals hide in plain site using evolved camouflage and behaviors). ; The last one is a book.

Of course, most of us have a collection of Disney photographs. ; I would guess Michael (mSummers) has a vast collection of train photos. ; Justin (zackiedawg) has his Florida wetland wildlife collection and possibly sub-collections within that. Me, well, I will have to look my photo library over to see if any themes pop out. ;

I never thought of doing something like keeping a list of projects or themes because Art said if you are looking for something, you will find it. ; I know when I do go and look for certain things, I do tend to find them. ; When I go out shooting without anything in mind, sometimes I don't find much and might take photos to justify being out with a camera. ; Usually those are not much good and end up in the electronic trash can.

Do you have any collections or themes you are always on the lookout for whether at a Disney themepark or walking around your home or town?

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I'll have to meditate on that one Scott.

3. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

1. My Kids
    2. Anything Disney
    3. Abandoned Buildings/Cars
    4. Street Performers
    5. The Night Sky (This one seriously needs work!)

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

I never really though about it in that way, but I do have a couple of themes that I have been shooting.

1. ; Steam Trains
    2. ; Williamsburg
    ; ; a. ; Christmas Decorations
    ; ; b. ; Building Interiors
    ; ; c. ; Colonial Trades
    3. ; Flowers (recently started)

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

While Roger is meditating I'd like to say the lists so far are great. ; I was wondering though if you had any universal themes. ; Looking at what's been posted so far, I'd say the steam trains, flowers, abandoned buildings/cars, street performers and the night sky would be universal concepts most people are familiar with.

Some themes I have gravitated towards is motion in photos (panning, long exposures), hockey, wildlife/nature, family and travel. ; Of these motion is the most universal theme with wildlife/nature a close second. Family and travel are very broad concepts. ; Will look at them to see if there's any underlying themes.

6. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I have also heard that it's a good idea to have themes. ; Keeps you focused. ; I keep thinking I need to start especially between trips to the world. ; A couple I have tossed around are;

1. ; Old rundown barns - ; we have quite a few in our area and I always thought they would be great for B&W since almost all of them are devoid of color.
    2. ; County landmarks off the beaten path. ; I'm sure this one has been beaten to death by area photographers yet it seems like a good idea.

I have also heard that when you visit the world it's not a bad idea to have a general theme like a particular color, shape etc. ; I tried shooting trash cans one year. ; Was interesting.

7. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

If you have seen my sports photos, my themes are 1) Cheerleaders ; 2) Cheerleaders and 3) Cheerleaders :)

8. gary

gary Member

whatever i see , wherever i am, not trying to be sarcastic or flippant here, that's just pretty much what interests me, yeah i do the dis, above all else, but many other things in this really interesting world i inhabit. and of course my beloved bluegrass music