Universal Orlando Advice?

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando Photos' started by ExploringWDW, Apr 17, 2016.

1. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

Gillian and I will be spending the day at Universal Orlando on April 28th. We will be purchasing their $239 Power Pass in advance since we will be heading over there for a couple days during Pixelmania 2016 as well. This will be our first visit so any advice would be helpful.

How are they about bringing your camera gear on the rides? Should I just sling my camera and not bring a bag or is my standard kit with backpack ok?

I purchased a GoPro for underwater use on our cruise. Will they let me use that for on ride video or should I leave that behind?

The Touring Plans one day two park plan for adults has us starting in Universal Studios for the headliners, taking Hogwarts Express over to IOA around 11AM, doing lunch and the headliners there and heading back to Universal Studios at about 4PM. Thoughts?

2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I know from watching a local vlogger's videos that there are some rides where you are not allowed to have any loose items (lockers provided in those instances). I think those are mainly the higher speed coasters rather than something in SuessLand. I think that was both for their regular camera as well as GoPro. If you want to check out the videos, search for either "theTimTracker" or "MyThemeParkPOV" as channels. The POV channel would give you an idea of which rides allow cameras onboard. (So if there's no video, it means it not officially allowed).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

Jurassic park was ok with bags and cameras (although you get soaked). Harry Potter rides wouldn't allow bags, but did allow you to bag swap with another member of your party. Not sure about cameras on the HP rides, but I think I've seen on ride video from a couple of them.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

No cameras allowed on Harry Potter rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

So if no bags and no cameras on the HP rides, what is a Pixelmaniac to do? Michael mentioned bag swap, but it will be just two of us. Jeff mentioned lockers but not specifically for HP. Are there lockers just before you board? There are plenty of photos of the queues on these rides.

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

The lockers are located outside the rides. They do allow you to walk the queue for photos, just tell them you're doing that and they'll let you in with a camera. I even took my tripod into Gringotts last year.

If you don't have time to walk the queue a second time, I'm sure someone at Pixelmania will be willing to bag sit or bag swap. I didn't ride anything last year and I know there's at least one HP ride that Gary won't get on.

7. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

Thanks Michael!

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

What @mSummers said. In fact, some of our tripods were so large that the main lockers would not accommodate them. The cast members at guest relations claim check them for us. So while the photography is not as popular at Universal and Disney, there is still plenty of stuff to take photos of. Fear not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk