Tripod recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by ilene, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i checked that one out a ritz camera but wasnt impressed with the plastic handle. felt really cheaply made. maybe it was just that one copy...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Roger

Well, it probably is considering it's cheaper than mine!

4. Tim

oh, i thought they were the same model. never mind then. they LOOK very similar.

5. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Member

Tim - would you still recommend the velbon luxisf? I have a very old velbon - big, bulky, etc., and a monopod. I'm looking for a compact lightweight tripod that will fit in my suitcase and not be a big hassle to carry around. My monopod fits nicely on my Lowepro sling bag, but sometimes I need more than that. I may also have to consider a different bag that would accomodate a smaller tripod.

Any suggestions?

Looking for inexpensive options . . .

6. Tim

sure would... i love that darn tripod. 'specially with the manfrotto pistol grip that a few of us have... nice combination, small and packable.

7. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Member

A follow-on to my previous post. I was looking at this backpack - any opinions?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... kpack.html

I don't have a camera store anywhere near where I live, so I have to rely on descriptions, pictures, and opinions.

The backpack I'm looking for should be large enough to carry my 20D, several smaller lenses (50mm, 17-65, 28-200) and occasionally a 100-300 or 400mm. Never all of those in the same day. Also need to attach lightweight tripod - which this Tamrac option does.

8. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Tim's tripod is much easier to tote around than mine. I have an manfrotto pistol grip and manfrotto tripod. Carrying the tripod around in a separate bag gets annoying and frustrating especially when trying to get on and off rides

9. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Member

Thanks Ray and Tim. I think I'll go with the Velbon. Now gotta deal with the backpack.

10. Roger

I would take a look at Tamrac's website; they should have a cutaway pic of the backpack with the lenses in it.

But I'm not sure it would be big enough to carry a 400mm with a camera attached. Note the word attached.

11. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Member

I probably shouldn't have listed the 400mm. About the only time I use it is for wildlife - and on those trips, I usually use my own car so its not an issue. I guess the biggest lens I would worry about with a backpack is the the 100-300.

I'll check the Tamrac site.