The case for watermarks

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Roger, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

So I follow Photo Stealers online (used to be on Tumblr, now she has her own separate site) - it's run by a professional photographer who got tired of other "photographers" setting up websites using photos that weren't theirs. ; I mean, it would be like Ford advertising using a Maserati, even though you can't get one there. ;

But anyway, during the more recent examples, someone posted a link to an old blog post from an attorney who specializes in photographers rights:

http://www.photoattorney.com/2007/07/wa ... -ears.html

Apparently, even though you can't get non-damages if you don't officially register your copyright, the DMCA actually has a provision in it that helps: ; If someone tries to go around a copyright provision on the image when reposting it illegally there are penalties by default.

Basically:

Someone posts your picture(s) on another website, you can use DMCA to get the ISP/hosting company to take the images down
    If someone posts your pictures and removes your copyright watermark, DMCA calls for penalties of $2500 to $25000 if choose to sue

2. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I've been registering my images for over a year. ; It's simple and only costs $35 per batch. ; Watermarks (even the copyright symbol) are not necessary. but I do it anyway.

Here are some useful links:

The US copyright office (where you register your images): ;
    Copyright tutorial from and American Society of Media Photographers.
    The Copyright Zone, source for an excellent (but now out of print) book called The Photographer's Survival Manual

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

I've been registering mine for a couple of years. ; I just add the copyright registration to the cost of the trip and upload the entire batch the first morning after the trip as soon as I get to the office. ;

The Photographer's Survival Manual is an excellent resources. ; Its too bad that it is now out of print.