Sony a6000 first pics

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Tim, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Some first pics, straight outta the camera. What did you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Looking good - and making me jealous already! You get to shoot Disney with yours before me. Heading up tomorrow afternoon...probably looking to arrive by 3-4pm. Gotta pick up my golf cart once I check in at the cabin, so may not get out to a park tomorrow - unless we just head to DHS or MK for late hours. You'll have to let me know your schedule to see if there's a good day we can meet up.

3. Tim

Late hours tomorrow will work perfectly. Let me know where you want to go.

4. Tim

Some more for ya from this morning... Again straight outta the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. zackiedawg

Last two are HDR blends? I see some motion blur/double images in some of the people walking around.

Did you engage first-curtain electronic shutter? Best to keep it on most of the time, if you haven't already...saves shutter vibration with slightly slower shutters, and sounds better too!

6. Tim

1st curtain is on.

7. Tim

8. ELinder

ELinder Member

Honestly? I can't put my finger on what it is, but I don't really care for the quality of these first pics. I don't know if it's the Sony jpg processing, or the settings, or the resizing compression, or what, but for a 24MP APS-C camera I'd expect a lot more sharpness and definition.

Erich

9. Tim

It's a 2 mb transfer from camera to phone for posting.

10. ELinder

ELinder Member

Ah, that explains it then, thanks. How easy is the built in Wi-Fi to use? Having to use an external device on my Nikons is a pain at times.

Erich

11. Tim

Once you get used to it the wifi is simple. The only quirk is you have to close the app when you are done or it won't connect the next time around. Been like that since nex-6.

12. zackiedawg

Having just gotten back, I must say I was quite impressed by how the A6000 did overall - this was the first chance for me to shoot something other than birds, which is all I've shot with mine for the past 2 months - this time, got to use all the other lenses, shooting landscape, interiors, high ISO, scenic, details, etc. It's quite a nice step up from the NEX-5N, and also did a fine job taking place of my DSLR, which I didn't really miss on this trip. The lightness and size, being able to carry camera + 3 lenses in the same space as my DSLR and mounted lens alone was lovely. And the high ISO ability plus 24MP was really very useful compared to the NEX-5N on dark rides, where I could actually use up to ISO12800 without much worry (ISO6400 was the max I was OK with on the 5N). Can't wait to get the time to sort through and start uploading pics...might be a few days as I have to catch up with work and do laundry and other chores around home first. I'm going to try to go through a batch of 50-75 shots each evening, so I should be done by the middle of the weekend.

Erich - I wouldn't worry about color, contrast, and detail - as Tim mentioned, he's just posting the straight-to-phone downsized shots. Even JPGs straight from camera can be tuned pretty nicely - I always take a little time to set my picture settings so the contrast, color, saturation, etc are to my liking, as I shoot primarily JPG and don't like to post-process - so I try to fine-tune everything to come out of the camera just right...the A6000 has done as well or better than the very excellent NEX-5N I had before, with the much-acclaimed 16MP Sony APS-C sensor - all my worries about going to a 24MP APS-C sensor are gone:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Those are both fairly heavy crops, JPGs straight from camera...I set my camera up with Vivid color mode, saturation -1, contrast 0, sharpness -1...and that does the trick for me...I only have birding samples to show so far, but as soon as I get some of my Disney photos sorted, I'll share those too.