Right, or centered...

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by mPower, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I have discovered 2 things in my testing.

First, if you are an Admin or Moderator of this forum you shouldn't see this problem. I was able to force the problem to occur by logging out and when I logged back in it went away. I'm guessing, but have no proof, that this is caused by the fact that a new button array shows up for Mods and Admins that regular users don't have. Probably something related to CSS or a bad HTML tag somewhere.

Second, the smaller your resolution the less impact the problem seems to have. On my 1920x1200 display it was badly shifted to the right. But on my 1024x768 display, the image was displaying correctly, but the Horizontal Rule was the only thing wonky.

I'm sure with the different browsers and operating systems, the degree at which the error displays will change.

I captured my screenshots on Firefox 3.0.6

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

ok, we have determined that it appears to be a CSS problem.
    if anyone using firefox cares to install the "web developer" addon and mess with the CSS until they come up with appropriate values to fix this problem, by all means do so.

3. mPower

mPower Member

Is the version on the test site the same as we have here, or the previous version?

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

It seems like you have figured it out, but I thought I would post anyway, to see if it helped at all.

[attachment deleted by admin]

5. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Now my post is displaying properly, but the others are not. This is a weird bug.

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Actually, I thought of mine as displaying properly...but looking at everyone's samples, maybe there is something strange about the way my attached photos are displaying on IE7...

When I link a photo from my own site, it nests up close to the text, but when I attach a photo directly, I get a very large space between the text and the photo. I thought this was just how attached photos look...but some of the screenshots above seem to show no space between text and photos even when attached.

So although I'm not having the 'to the right' problem, and my issue doesn't really affect my usability or viewability overall, I figured I'd post it here just for informational or troubleshooting purposes. I tried it on the test forum yesterday and I still have the big gap.

Here are screenshots of photos direct linked from my gallery and one attached...note the gap between text and shot in the attached version:

[attachment deleted by admin]

7. Tim

i have filed a support ticket for this issue and am closing this topic for now.
    i will let you know when i learn more.

8. Tim

here it the complete problem.
    [​IMG]

9. Tim

Re: Right, or centered... - update

the problem has been narrowed down to the use of attachments. therefore, i recommend that everyone use linked images for the time being. a support ticket has been filed and i have been working very hard on getting this resolved for you. i thank you for your patience while this issue is rectified.

10. Tim

Re: Right, or centered... - update

the SMF dev team reports that they are already aware of the issue and are working to resolve it. keep your fingers crossed.

11. Tim

ATTACHMENTS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED (hopefully)!

please double check using your computer and browser and send PM's if there is still a problem.
    based on everything i have been able to check, it seems to be working properly now.

12. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

All looking normal to me! I was going to point out the problem Craig mentioned, as I saw that last night too...but all seems normal now, and no more scrolling back and forth!

13. Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.