Remember this scene?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Photos / Lost Attractions/ Cast Mem' started by zackiedawg, Sep 7, 2009.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

As a nostalgic type, I am OK with progress and change but always miss the old stuff when it's gone. ; SSE was one such occasion - I always had a soft spot for the original...and was generally still fond of the Jeremy Irons-narrated version which didn't really change the ride. ; In particular, I loved the music, especially at the end during the descent, and when the descent reached near the bottom and the vast futuristic world city with the beaming networks and communication streaming out in beautiful fiber optic arcs...the music hit a beautiful crescendo that would give me chills.

5 years ago, I didn't have the technology to capture that scene - my 5mp P&S camera struggled at even 400 ISO. ; I actually forgot I ever tried, but in going through old pics on my harddrive, I came upon a dark, nearly black shot that I couldn't recognize in the thumbnail. ; It was an original I had never processed, just sitting back in a May 2004 folder. ; So using today's technology, I ran it through every variety of processing I could, to see what was lurking under that underexposed black shot. ; Lo and behold, it was an attempted shot of that favorite scene:

[​IMG]

The movement of the ride meant handholding a 1/5 shutter was basically impossible - especially without stabilization and with that ratchety violent movement the ride makes going downhill. ; Still, it was fun to see this scene materialize out of a worthless black underexposed shot. ; I'd love to go back with a modern camera and give it another go...alas, the opportunity is gone!

If anyone else happened to have captured it, I'd love to see it!

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

on this, our spaceship earth!
    [​IMG]

i really do miss the regal, royal style of jeremy irons and that classic musical score. ; it seems "cheaper" now for some reason. ; judi dench just doesn't do it for me...

3. zackiedawg

Ah yes...that's the sequence. ; I like Dame Judy as an actress, and she does have one of the cooler female voices...but hard to compete with Walter Cronkite and Jeremy Irons...and Jeremy did bring something proper to the table with the deep, british accent.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I was really hoping for James Earl Jones or Patrick Stewart. ;

5. zackiedawg

THIS IS CNN...ah, oops, I mean, SPACESHIP EARTH!

JEJ would rock!

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

This scene?

[​IMG]

I thought that line though was right when you reach the top and see Earth and begin rotating backwards for your return.....

7. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

nice one Roger!
    Here is the closest I got:
    [​IMG]

Jeremy Irons was my favorite version.

8. For a long time this has been one of my favorite scenes (its of those "you know youre in Disney" things) and I was really hoping ; that when SSE went down for refurb they would give this to me to put in my bedroom :D

9. zackiedawg

Very nice Rog! ; That's exactly the one I was trying to take. ; Nice closeup too Craig.

And you're right Rog...that line in particular was just as the car turned and you see the earth floating in space. ; Later during the descent, when that music swelled, Jeremy says "We now have the ability and the responsibility to build new bridges of acceptance and co-operation between us; to create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth."

10. Paul

Paul Member

good shots guys

11. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great shots guys, and Tim, I couldn't agree more on James Earl Jones or Patrick Stewart.

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

James Earl Jones would be a perfect fit for that ride