Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 Aspheric G now in stock!

Discussion in 'B&H, Affiliate Promotions' started by Tim, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

2. gary

gary Member

i already have it, and it seems pretty decent for low light, esp if you don't need a lot of depth of field.

3. Paul

Paul Member

Still don't get this micro four thirds stuff, what's the benefit?

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Paul:

Reduced size/weight yet better image quality than a P&S. ; m4/3 was the first to market with a mirrorless interchangable lens digital camera. ; Now there are four systems on the market:

m4/3 ; (Panasonic, Olympus)
    NEX e-mount (Sony)
    Samsung NX
    Pentax Q

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

As Roger mentioned - it's all about the size. ; For me, I love my DSLR and no mirrorless system can come close to replacing it, as they still can't shoot many of the same types of shots (sports, wildlife, etc) as quickly, conveniently, or easily.

However, I picked up a mirrorless camera to act as a second body for traveling alongside my DSLR at times, and for completely replacing it at other times when I want to travel light. ; Even with a 'big' lens like the 18-55mm kit lens, my NEX3 is still about 1/3 the mass of my DSLR with basic lens, and more than 1/3 the weight. ; It can hang around my neck without notice, shove into a jacket pocket, sit on a dinner table at a restaurant in between wine glasses and salt shakers and not take up all the space, take candids and random shots at waist level without even being noticed...it's about the same size as a decent compact ultrazoom P&S with a zoom lens, or with a pancake lens is as small as a typical travel zoom compact...yet it has an APS-C sensor with full DSLR quality and the ability to shoot up to ISO12800 with printable results. ; It maintains the ability to have full manual control - in some respects it can be used more 'traditionally' than a DSLR - slap an old manual lens on, and set the camera to M - aperture and focus controlled by the rings on the lens, shutter controlled by the jog wheel on the camera, everything manual and old school. ; Except the tilted 920K res LCD, live histogram, and ISo12800 capable sensor!

Fact is, for many DSLR owners, a mirrorless could do everything they need it to do for a lot less weight, size, and price. ; But there are still things DSLRs can do that mirrorless cannot - so for the folks who need the DSLR, the mirrorless can be a brilliant second camera option - so much lighter, smaller, more portable than a second DSLR body, yet adaptable to any lens mount ever made, maintains manual controls, and fully equals DSLR image quality.

At least, that's the reason I decided to pick up a mirrorless camera!

6. gary

gary Member

yeah, everything that guy said, just better and more eloquent than i usually am