Painting with Light

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Tim, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

One of the things that is great about digital photography is the ability to quickly and easily make adjustments to your image in post-processing. ; Sometimes the difference between an OK image and great image is just a few subtle brush strokes to adjust the highlights or shadows. ; These subtle adjustments are often all it takes to change the mood in an image and make it image look great. ; Of course, no amount of Photoshop wizardry in the world can fix an image that is bad right out of the chute (garbage in, garbage out), so please take the time to make you get a proper exposure and a good photograph to begin with.

A few weeks ago my friend Marty Lerario, who has been a commercial photographer since 1978, showed me a very quick and easy technique to adjust the shadows and highlights of an image very quickly and easily. ; This method depends on two simple adjustment layers and takes only a few seconds to perform. ; It is very similar to the various "Paint with Light" actions that are out there on the 'web, but in MY Photoshop actions palette, it is simply called "The Marty Fix". ; I think this gives a much more subtle and natural effect than using the Shadows/Highlights tool.

CLICK HERE FOR THE REST OF THE ARTICLE

[​IMG]