Old Skool: Next retro-trip booked for July 18...

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by zackiedawg, Apr 15, 2014.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Heading back to Disney World for my next confirmed trip - and this time I decided to do a retro old-school trip. Since I've been with DVC, I've been staying at DVC properties, with the exception of a few stays at moderate resorts when on business trips. For decades, our family used to come up each summer and stay in Fort Wilderness, renting one of the trailers, later cabins...it was one of the few ways pre-DVC that you could get a place to accommodate lots of people. We'd rent the golf cart to get around, and because the summer is miserable-hot, much of the time would be spent around the wildnerness grounds, riding the cart, eating at Trail's End, swimming, etc. We'd end up spending less time in the parks than usual, because we'd be BBQing and riding around at the campground. Well it had been many years since I've stayed there, and thought it would be fun to go again!

So I've booked a wilderness cabin starting Friday July 18 and staying through Tuesday. I've reserved a golf cart, because it just wouldn't be fun without the cart to get around instead of the busses. It'll be nice to be back there again, just like in the old days. I used my DVC points in exchange - the cost wasn't any different than a 1-bedroom villa at my home resort of Boardwalk - an extra $95 transfer fee, but we'll probably offset that with some savings in food - breakfasts will probably all be at our cabin, and even some lunches.

Looking forward to being back at the Fort!

Sean likes this.
  2. ayesell

ayesell Member

Some of our best Disney vacations were in Fort Wilderness.

Sean likes this.
  3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

That sounds great Justin! I have only been there to eat, take pictures or run. I have wanted to go back to All Star Movies with my wife and daughter, our firsts 3 trips together were there, before DVC for us too.

Sean likes this.
  4. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

that's awesome Justin!
    Our family used to rent the cabins also.
    we always had a great time!

Sean likes this.
  5. zackiedawg

Thanks guys - I'm really looking forward to it - it's been a very long time! I think the last time was 2002 - we were DVC but still occasionally went to Fort Wilderness so we could stay near other family and friends - we'd end up getting 4 or 5 cabins all in a row or across the street - two friends with their families, my stepbrother and his family, and my parents and I, sometimes my college roommate and his wife, all with our own cabins...we weren't going to use our DVC points for them and they weren't members!! I still had a 1MP digital camera at the time. Other than being back occasionally to go to Trail's End or walking over from Wilderness Lodge and snapping a few pics, I have virtually no photos of Ft. Wilderness trailers, cabins, golf carts, or grounds...so I now have a project to snap some pics around there!

6. lightslicer

lightslicer Member

We stayed in the cabins in 93- did the whole food and fun adventure. AH some wonderful memories.... Hope your visit is extra magical for you!

7. I've always loved that resort, but haven't been able to stay. That was my first stop while resort hopping.

8. Sean

Sean Administrator Staff Member

@zackiedawg Enjoy the trip, this sounds like an adventure I might need to look into. I do seem to have a lot of extra points.

@CameraGirl What do you think?

9. QueenElsa

QueenElsa Member

Sounds like so much fun! I love Fort Wilderness- we've only stayed there once, but it was amazing, we definitely need to go back again! Spending less time at the parks and more time on the campgrounds sounds like a nice relaxing time!

10. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Dude we will be there same time at DAK kidani. Let's meet up!

11. zackiedawg

Sounds like a plan! It's a loose summer travel trip for me - just going with my mother, meeting up with local cousins - the rest of the time I'll be free-roaming. Going to be playing with the new camera for sure...I'll probably only take the new A6000.

12. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Hey, I'll be there too! LOL! Alright, I'm always here as I live here, BUT I'd love to get together and see the cabin. I have always wanted to stay there, just never made it happen. It could be a Pre-Pixelmania meet!

13. zackiedawg

Come on by! The cabins are lots of fun - not overly large, yet can sleep up to 6 comfortably. Big open kitchen, nice large deck with BBQ, and a golf cart to get around - it's perfect for a hot summer stay because you're more prone to hang around the campgrounds, ride around, swim, and just relax.

14. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Dude I'm think photo meetup while you are there. Count me in.