My First Lightning shot

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by PolynesianMedic, May 30, 2011.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I had some family in town this past weekend, and they were staying at the Beach Club. ; They were facing Boardwalk, and one of our typical Florida storms rolled in. ; I got this shot, my first lightning shot, looking over the Boardwalk and the Studios.

[​IMG]

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Cool capture! ; One of those Right place, right time, right shutter speed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PolynesianMedic

John, I actually missed the first 3 or 4 bolts of lightning, and by this time was getting tired of trying and frustrated that I had missed the others.

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I'd love to get that at Disney - still a no-go for Disney lightning for me. ; Nice job!

5. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

nice shot! I've never managed ANY lightning shot

6. PolynesianMedic

I have always wanted to get a shot like this, but have always missed it. ; I got lucky this time, and now that I know a little more about how to do it, I plan on getting more the next time that I have a storm here.

7. Paul

Paul Member

Nice work Jeff, and very gutsy! ; I tend to head indoors when I see those lightening bolts.

8. PolynesianMedic

Me too, but since they had a small balcony overlooking the Boardwalk, I thought I would take advantage of it. ; ;)

9. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I stand out in the rain in the open surrounded by trees in bare feet holding a metal tripod during lightning storms, trying to get a shot! ; I'm desperate. ; ;) ; Actually, it depends on the lightning...some Florida T-storms are predictable, lightning is primarily cloud to cloud, or the storm is distant enough for general safety. ; Other times, it's the kind that is dropping lightning bombs feet away from you, reigning down every 2-3 seconds, and splitting trees and blowing up transformers. ; For those second kind...I stay indoors.

10. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

Cool capture! In So Cal, lightening is one of those events that weather-casters will howl about: "RUN AWAY! DON'T GO NEAR IT! WATCH IT HERE WITH LIVE DOPPL'R 7000!!!"

I'm with you. I tend to run *towards* bad weather than away from it.

11. PolynesianMedic

It can certainly offer some incredible photo opportunities, that's for sure.