Movie ticket price increases

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Zeagle, Mar 28, 2010.

1. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Interesting

2. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I had heard that but only when it came to cell phones. ; Didn't know broadband companies were doing the same. ; What's the take on 3D home tv's?

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Doc, wait for the prices to come down on the "no glasses" models. ; They're out there, but the first two to market require glasses.

Now if Fuji will allow one of them to show their pics....3D P&S may take off.

4. Dan

Dan Member

I think you can forget about no glasses 3d. ; I admit I haven't watched the latest tech closely, but all the ways I've seen to do that so far are extremely limited. ; You end up with a tiny sweet spot that you have to sit in to be able to see the effect.

The sort of thing that might be appropriate for a user sitting fairly motionless in front of a computer screen, perhaps. ; But forget home theater use. ; You're going to be needing glasses.

As to the one stop food drink and movie experience.. yeah, we've got some of those around here. ; I went to one.. once..

Feh. ; They just bought an old theater, replaced the movie seats with computer chairs (an interesting change, I'm not necessarily opposed to it) and served bad food in addition to showing movies on low quality equipment.

I like the idea of places like that showing older stuff, that's something I'd really like to do. ; I mean.. I'd kill to get a chance to watch, say, The Last Starfighter in a proper movie environment with fellow minded movie geeks. ; Bring on The Secret of Nimh.

But if such things are going on around here I'm not aware of it.

And about streaming video.. ; that's uncertain at this point.

The question is net neutrality. ; If we can get that supported then providers are less able to continue on the path they're headed. ; But if they get their way that doesn't necessarily kill online video, it just means that the providers want a way to directly profit off of it. ; They're getting tired of only being paid once for the service they provide. ; They want to be paid for the service but also for the things their customers do with that service.

Basically.. they all want to turn back into America Online. ; They want to be providing the content as well as the connection.

5. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Over here in the UK I see 1-4 movies a week I suppose, ticket prices are about £6.50 about ($10) but I have a membership card that cost me £13 a month which gives me access to see any film when ever I want, the one drawback is I cannot book a ticket with the card I have to physically line up and get one which for a opening night film means getting in line early, don't you guys have anything like this in the US?

6. Dan

Dan Member

I've never heard of such a thing. ; If it exists here, I don't think it's very common.

7. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I think a few chains do this, however, it's extremely unpopular because you can't go to movies the first 1-3 weeks they are out, and what is the average lifespan of a movie nowadays?

8. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

We actually talked with the theater manager about "frequent flyer" cards. ; He thought it was a good idea and had actually pitched it once. ; His comment - "they don't listen to local managers". ; Still think a good idea. ;

My wife and I love to go to the movies. ; Gets us out of the house and away from the kids for awhile. ; One thing we hate about movies now though----commercials. ; Remember the time when there were only previews and no commercials?

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I got a good deal today: ; One free movie ticket in exchange for a pint of blood. ; It was the promotion of the week at the local blood bank.

10. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Do you have to see a vampire movie now?

11. ddindy

There's no fine print on the ticket that says "Good only for Twilight" movies. ; But I'd gladly use it for an "Abbott & Costello Meet..." film festival.

12. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Yep. ; I miss the old horror movies which were just down right scary and didn't rely on blood and gore.

13. gary

gary Member

saturday mornings as a child, sky king, lone ranger, followed by either a western or an abbott and costello, sometimes laurel and hardy

14. ddindy

For me it was Three Stooges first thing Saturday morning; Lone Ranger was on weekdays, kemo sabe.

The host of the local Stooges show is still around: ; http://www.harlowhickenlooper.com/

15. ELinder

ELinder Member

Back then (God, I really am getting old!) a lot of places had Saturday kid time slots like that. In Cleveland it was Superhost, complete with cape and red clown nose.

Erich

16. HW

HW Member

I went to the Surf Theater in Atlantic City as a kid and on Saturdays for 35 cents saw a double feature of such classic as Teenagers From Outer Space and I was a Teenage Werewolf etc.

17. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

and I had to walk up hill in the snow BOTH WAYS to see my first movie in the theaters and paid $2.50 (I think it was "Annie" and had tagged along with my sisters)

18. HW

HW Member

I was lucky. mine was downhill both ways with the wind at my back

19. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Dan: Being in Chicago you have a couple of options. ; The AMC theaters do have a Frequent Movie Goer Card that gives you rewards such as discounted snacks and up to a "Free Nite at the Movies" which includes ticket (not a new release though) and a small (maybe medium) snack combo. ; Down in Central IL we have a small chain that offers 7 points for every dollar spent with the same type of rewards and I think it works out to a reward for every $50-60 spent, and you get points for money spent on concessions. ; Anyway, as for the "Fancy Theaters", you should check out the Muvico Theater over in Rosemont (by the convention center). ; A friend and I saw GI Joe there last year. ; Pre-picked seats, a great Bar and Grill. ; My only problem was that when they said that popcorn was included in the price of the ticket they meant a small popcorn and no refills (same with the soda). ; Seriously. ; I mean it costs them pennies for a garbage can amount of popped popcorn and you can't give a refill on a small. ; Anyway, that is my rant on that subject.