in the bag for pixelmania

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by gary, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

the 50 f/1.0 is in my bag right now. ; man! ; that thing is heavy and built like a tank. ;

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

sweet!

3. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

What do you think of the lens? ; Everything I've read online about it seems to be somewhat negative about its sharpness, but you never know with that. ; I think we're almost at a point in time where lenses like this are obsolete. ; Why spend a couple grand on it when you could instead get the latest in high ISO technology?

I don't think we're at that point yet, but with the new full frame beasts from Canon and Nikon that are capable of 100,000+ ISO, I think it's right around the corner.

In any case, I'm betting you will have A LOT of fun with that bad boy and the dark rides! ; Makes me envious!!!

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

haven't used it yet but that with my mk2 might make a new game out of shooting in available dark.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Almost there....Canon does have an EOL for replacement parts, even though the EOS line is barely over 25 years old.

The old 80-200/2.8 has no parts available *new* anymore, so once the 50/1.0s breakdown, it'll be the same way.

It was a lens for its time. ; There's a reason they haven't made it again, but rather a 1.2.

6. gary

gary Member

these are all circular, threaded, in 77mm, i have step up rings for 72, 67, 58mm lenses

forgot to add, these are all the thin mount, so less chance of vignetting on wide angles

7. So Im not going to be able to make Pixelmania (this year) :( but I will be there the week after and Im dragging all my gear;

Xti body
    18-55 mm kit lens
    55-250 mm
    50mm f/1.8
    Tamron 10-24
    UV and Polarizing filters
    Macro filters
    Expodisc

maybe an external flash???? (I keep thinking about maybe getting one)

and my new bag (havent decided which one yet. Probably either Lowepro slingshot 200 or the Tamrac Velocity Sling pack)

8. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Gary... Care to share your 135 for a few shots? ;)

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I'll also be there Dec. 10-16. ; Are you attending any of the meets or just hanging out?

10. Ill actually be there the 6th through the 11th. Its our annual family Christmas trip - first time my sister's been in 3 years!

11. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Great. ; I'll actually be there Dec. 2-8 and 10-16. ; I was going to ask if you wanted to meet up somewhere, but I don't want to intrude on your family time. ; If you see a TMIP hat in the parks, be sure to say hi.

12. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I'm going to feel bare carrying my point-n-shoot...

Sony DSC-H50
    DSC Remote Control
    2 Spare Batteries
    Battery Charger
    16 GB of MS ProDuo Memory
    Velbon Ultra-Luxi
    Samsung Netbook (to Offload Cards to portable HDD)
    *AND THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE*
    ; ; -The Camera Manual!

13. gary

gary Member

actually all the gear is open to use from fellow canon shooters, we'll work it out, maybe multiple rides around hm and the safari might be needed, but it'll happen

14. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Okay thanks a lot for that. ; Another $100 to B&H. ; STARTING with that STICK! ; ::)

15. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

my cable release came just two days ago. ; I can't wait to start using it.

16. gary

gary Member

practice with it, also practice quick setup and tripod takedown, when not stationary or conducting a meet, tim can be relentless in covering ground, esp if he's on the track of some new angle not covered before

17. PolynesianMedic

Thanks for the heads up! ; I guess I am going to get a lot of practice with him. ;)

18. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

My favorite tripod takedown method...snap all the hinges open on the leg segments, then turn it upside down and let gravity collapse the whole thing...then just snap the hinges closed as you walk. ; Takes mere seconds!

19. PolynesianMedic

I have done that myself, Justin, I think though that I might need to improve on my speed of collapse and walk though. ;)

20. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Ha! ; Just dropped another $350....