First trip with my DSLR :)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by jamieevelyn, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jamieevelyn

jamieevelyn Member

Haven't been to the Parks in over 10 years. We will be going in April... this time with 2 kids (6 and 4 yrs old) and my Camera!! I have a Canon 50d and am trying only to bring my 24-70 2.8. I shoot Manual and know what I'm doing ;) I would love any advice you can give me!!! One thing I'm a little worried about is that I've heard some of the characters are inside. How is the lighting? I really don't want to bring my flash :(

Thank you in advance!!!!!
    Jamie

2. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

1) Don't be married to Manual. Stuff happens FAST at WDW, especially with small children, and you need to be able to whip the camera up and shoot, like, NOW! at any time. Metering and figuring exposure doesn't really go well with that.

2) With a 50D and a prime lens, you will be able to shoot lots of indoor stuff without flash, as long as you can rachet up the ISO a little.

3) Don't carry it in a bag. See #1 above for why.

4) Bring a longer zoom for Animal Kingdom. The animals are far enough away that 70mm is just not long enough.

5) Don't forget to rotate your memory cards; either download to a laptop every day, or switch cards every day and keep cards with pics on them in your room safe.

6) Florida's sunshine sometimes comes down in liquid form, so take along a camera poncho.

7) Don't overload yourself. You've already got a lot of stuff to carry for the kids, you don't want to load yourself down to the point where you're exhausted by lunch time from carrying 100lbs of stuff. I carry no spare lenses, only a small pocket box with a couple of spare memory cards and batteries, and a lens cloth.

And have fun.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

You might be able to get along fine with the 24-70/2.8 indoors but you will probably need to bump the ISO a bit AND use spot metering.