Feb 2007 North Tower of the Contemporary

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Craig, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

every time i see new photos of the craigtemporary, all i can think is .... how many points/ nite??!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

no kidding Tim, all we think of is how much $$$$$$$$$$scary money is this going to cost us to join dvc? I will easily admit I am terrified of how much this is going to cost me!!!

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

Once they start pouring concrete, the structure goes up pretty fast. After all of the concrete is in place, it will seem to slow way down because you can't see all the little things that are being done on the inside.

4. Craig

oh yeah, everyone who we talk to at the contemporary keep thinking the building will be up by the end of the year. I keep thinking they have no idea of how long the details take to finish. Theres at least a month of floor covering (thats what I do) to do in there! Not to mention all the other trades!

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Not a chance. Depending on how many crews they have on the job, I'm guessing a mid to late 2009 Opening at the earliest.

6. scpergj

scpergj Member

Cool...18 months to come up with what, $5K for a nice down payment? I don't know that I can pass up a Contemporary DVC...unless there's one on the way at the Poly - but I don't see where they could put that!

Kevin

7. Craig

8. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Here's a few shots from the other side that I took last week. I was taking the boat from Fort Wilderness to Magic Kingdom, and so passed right by the North Tower from the lakefront side:

[​IMG]

A closeup of the back pool area:

[​IMG]

It's coming along! I can't wait for it to become official. I still have to get myself a DVC stay in Animal Kingdom Lodge, and now will have to add this one to the list. I've stayed at every other DVC resort on property until these two new ones, and I haven't been able to land an Animal Kingdom lodge in my last 3 tries (too short notice, and since the main new building isn't built yet, the only DVC access available are a handful of top-floor rooms in the main building).

Boy...a top floor, 2-bedroom condo facing Magic Kingdom will be an awfully hot ticket!

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I can only imagine how many points it is going to take to stay here.

10. PolynesianMedic

Any new updates on progress here?

11. Craig

June 2008 "Bay Tower" at the Contemporary

Ok so here we are in June 2008. The main structure is up. And the bridge is under construction to connect the new building to the Contemporary Tower fourth floor.
    The crew had a topping off party over the July 4th weekend, and place a tree at the top.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

12. PolynesianMedic

That's a cool looking bridge! They placed a tree at the top? Normally when a crew finishes the steel work, they put a flag on top. I wonder why they used a tree. Thanks for the pics and update.

13. mSummers

mSummers Member

I think whats included in the topping out ceremony depends on what part of the country you're in. At the ones I've been to, all of the workers signed the last beam, and the US flag and the pine tree were attached to the beam before it was placed. I'm not sure what the pine tree represents, but its a tradition that a lot of companies around Maryland follow.

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

I did a search to find out the significance of the tree, and that also depends on what part of the country you are in. It signifies anything from new growth to a job well done, to completing the structural work without serious injury or death.

15. PolynesianMedic

Interesting Michael, thanks!

16. Craig

How's this for an understatement?!

I found this pretty funny. Dina thinks I'm weird!

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

17. Craig

October 2008 at Bay Lake Tower!

WOW! The new building has come a long way in one year!
    Both cranes are gone. Painting is going quick. They are starting to cut in the new road leading to the building. I bet the scaffolding comes down pretty soon, and Bay Lake Tower will really look good!

18. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Great update, thanks for the pictures!

19. goofy101

goofy101 Member

What a diffrence a year makes

20. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.