Exposure Compensation button

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Sonny Eclipse (Colin C), Jan 6, 2011.

1. I have been reading a little bit on using exposure compensation on my D90 but am not sure I full understand when I should use this. Does anyone have any sort of guidelines on when you adjust? I'm fairly new at this so have not really played with this a lot and maybe I should be.

I'm heading back to WDW in Feb and was happy with a lot of the shots I took in December but want to improve on what I did as well.

2. HW

HW Member

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I got a couple of blogs reads for you. ; There are two views on your camera's LCD which will help you with using the Exposure compensation button (EV). ; One is the blinky (like the technical term?) screen showing where the highlights are blown out by blinking the areas in the photo and the other is the Histogram.

Dialing in Digital Exposure

Introducing the Histogram

Make sure you follow the link at the bottom of the Histogram article. ; It goes into a lot more detail about them.

Tim also wrote up a quick tip on this subject: Exposure Quick Tip

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great info Scott and Howie! ; I have been wondering how and when to use that. Thanks for the links!!

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

6. Thanks everyone. Great information.

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

I tend to play with exposure compensation quite a bit on my D90. A lot of the time, I'm in aperture priority mode, and let the camera figure out the shutter speed. I have the display set to show the blown highlights, and dial back the exporeure compensation until they go away.

My camera tends to overexpose, so I almost always use a negative setting. I have been reading some more about the exposure metering modes, and it seems that's a characteristic of some of the metering modes, but I still haven't figured out how to predict that beforehand. For now, it's just quicker to manually compensate for it.

Erich

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Don't all guys? ; :D