Do you collect/trade Pins?

Discussion in 'Disney Theme Park Discussion' started by CameraGirl, Jul 25, 2006.

1. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

I have a few cool pins to share also.....I will try and post some pics soon.

I am a sucker for pins, but I am not a big trader, I like the ones that I have.

2. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

It's easy to get addicted to pin trading especially if there is a genre you like collecting. I've gotten into attraction pins there are alot of them.

3. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

I am wondering if anyone has come up with a way of displaying their pins when they come home? ; Mine just stay on my lanyard or in a drawer, wondering if there is something I can do with some of the better ones that doesn't look cheezy?
    Any ideas?

4. CoryTheRaven

CoryTheRaven Member

I wouldn't say I'm a pin collector as such... Or more specifically, I do collect the pins I get, and I'm not so much into the trading thing ^_^

Anywhere I go, I try to find a tasteful pin in pewter, brass or gold for my "pin bag"... An antique-looking leather valise, more stylish than functional, which chronicles where I've been... I've got all my National Parks, National Historic Sites, Canadian Pacific Railway, etc. pins hotglued to that.

Disney-wise, I've only picked up a few here and there. Outside of the parks, I for some reason bought a "Headless Horseman" song pin and a "Nightmare Before Christmas" millenium pin. A now-deceased online acquaintance sent me pins of "The Haunted House" and "Davy Crockett and the River Pirates" before he passed away, knowing I would appreciate them. I have two 2005 Walt Disney Travel pins (one to keep and one to trade, which I never did) which came in the mail along with my tickets and luggage tag. I received a swanky gold "Walt in Walt's Footsteps" pin for going on the tour. The only park ones I actually bought were a 50th anniversary one for Disneyland and a 15th anniversary one for Disneyland Paris. If it at all counts, I did buy a Mickey sheriff star in Frontierland that had my name on it, since I so rarely find my exact spelling, for some reason ^_^

That said, I don't know if it's really weird of me to want to have gone to the Camp Pin-e-ha-ha event at Disneyland (I think it was last year, wasn't it?)... I wouldn't really have been in it for the pins... I just like Ranger Woodlore and Humphrey the Bear, and wanted the logo merchandise ^_^

Regarding displays, I actually have a plan awaiting execution. I want to get cases or shadow-boxes for my Mickey ears, and include my anniversary pins in them. I don't know what I'd do with the other pins though.

5. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

The Hamettes have 50+ pins.

6. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

I haven't done it yet, but the few things I came up with to display the pins is buy a cheap canvas (Walmart has different sizes), then just poke the pins through the canvas and hang them on the wall. Maybe even cover the canvas in a nice disney fabric? ; The one problem I see with that is them getting dusty if you forget to dust off anything hanging on walls. ; I am sure a corkboard would work good too. ;

The other thing I thought about doing is getting a shadow box and somehow displaying the pins in that, but way more expensive and then it would be harder to add new pins to the collection since shadow boxes aren't all that big.

7. highland3

highland3 Member

I have a corkboard mounted in the hall. ; It's covered with my pins.

I have to get another board, that way I can split my collection (and because the current board is full).

I have many policing pins, Disney pins... and then there's a mixed bag.