Disney's Hollywood Studios - The American Idol Experience - Getting Ready

Discussion in 'Disney News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Sheila Gallant-Halloran, Nov 22, 2008.

1. http://www.wdwmagic.com/americanidol.htm

21 November 2008: Construction walls around American Idol now removed

All of the construction walls have now been removed, and the exterior looks to be in a very good state of readyness.

2. realfam

realfam Member

I'm not sure if that attrction is for me, but I know the rest of the fam will love it!

3. scratch

scratch Member

Not my cuppa either but my traveling party is raring to go see it!

4. I was speaking with a CM and they said that they are in rehearsals now for a soft opening in January.

Here a few pics now the walls are down.....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] ; [​IMG]

5. I know one DD9 who'll be in line!

6. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

I predict the American Idol attraction will go the way of Super Star Television in record time.

I can't imagine wasting valuble Disney vacation time watching Star Search, unless of course I have a traveling party member IN the contest. ; But hey, that's just me.

I can only hope that the audience is filled with people who otherwise would be in line for Toy Story Mania! ; ;D

7. I don't know... Who Wants to Be a Millionaire was very popular for several years, and the kiddies went largely to keep mum and dad happy (at least at my house) - I have a feeling mum and dad will be going to keep the kiddies happy at this one.

8. I u diseny

I u diseny Member

I think it be fun

9. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

I'll be skipping it I have absolutely no desire to see this.

10. I personally think that American Idol, "jumped the shark" about 3 seasons ago. I think this will be short lived attraction. I agree that I hope it takes away from TSM.

11. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

12. I love it. LOL ; :D

13. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

Yep, that too. ; Ever since Ruben beat Clay, but I won't get started on that. ; ;D ; Plus without Simon carving the bad singers, holy snore fest Batman!

14. hamham - thanks for digging out that old pic of Fonzie! ; I'm always surprised when folks don't know the meaning of "jumped the shark" - but I love how the phrase has become entrenched in popular culture. (And I remember watching that Happy Days show, and thinking, what the heck is this?)

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Idol set at Disney. ; For the first year ever, I didn't follow American Idol at all - so I personally believe the show has jumped the shark a while back - yet, my DD9 still loves it, and would follow it as much as she could. ; She also has dreams of being a pop star (despite me pushing doctor, prime minister, nobel prize winner...:)...), so I know that she'll be start raving mad to go to the Disney set and try her luck. ; I think there are many in the tweenie set who'll follow her. ; Despite it not appealing to me, I believe the attraction will have legions of fans. ; Every kid wants to be a star these days.

But, part of the fun with any new attraction is to see how it develops and where it goes...

Now - if Disney can plug into the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, High School Musical stuff even more than they are now, and if they combined that with the Idol stuff, I think they'd really make a killing.

15. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

Reason number 1 that I think this attraction is going to be an absolute joke. ; ;Your poor DD won't be able to try her luck.

I've seen the current contract for participants of the AI attraction. ; All participants must be a US resident. ; ::)

16. American Idol set to have daily shows
    Dec 07, 2008

According to a recent Disney press release, the new American Idol show will have several daily shows. Previous speculation indicated the show would only be open two days per week.

Here is the full release:

“The American Idol Experience” (coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios in 2009) Starry-eyed Disney guests will get a taste of TV’s pop culture phenomenon – up close and personal – by experiencing the challenge of auditioning, the rush of performing on stage in competition or the thrill of judging the performances in a live interactive setting modeled after the “American Idol” set. There will be several show times daily. Guests advancing through the screening process have the chance, in the nightly final competition, to win a guaranteed reservation for a regional audition for the “American Idol” TV show.

17. scratch

scratch Member

And I guess this means it will only be open to US Residents!

18. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

First the Disney Visa now the AI snub.

Time to form a coalition and fix the Mouse.

19. scratch

scratch Member

Oh Don't get me started on the Disney VISA!LOL

20. From www.attractionsmagazine.com:

[​IMG]

The opening of the new American Idol Experience attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios has been pushed back to mid-February with possible Walt Disney World Annual Passholder previews near the end of January.

A sneak preview of the inside of the Idol theater and audition areas was offered to Passholders today (Dec. 14, 2008) during which I learned the basics of how the attraction will operate.

There are two aspects to the American Idol Experience: auditioning/performing and watching from the audience.

Those who think they can sing and want take part in the audition process begin their American Idol experience behind the building in a separate queue from those wanting to simply watch. Auditions begin when the park opens. I estimate the queue for Idol hopefuls can hold around 100 people, though Disney may extend the queue around the building if hundreds show up to audition.

While guests stand in that queue, a Disney cast member will bring a camera around, recording those in line for potential use later on. I would imagine that if the ultimate winner of the American Idol TV show is found at the attraction, they’ll want to have some video to show where they began their journey fromm.

There are four separate and sound-proof audition rooms, so four guests from the audition queue are let into the building at a time. Each is allowed to bring one person in with them for support. It all feels very official and professional inside this area, likely adding to nerves when guests step inside. Gold records from past American Idol TV stars will line the walls, adding to the significance of the area.

Inside each of the audition rooms is a desk in the center, a white macbook laptop on the desk, a Herman Miller chair behind the desk along with an American Idol backdrop. Seated at the desk will be a cast member/judge for whom guests will perform.

Guests may sing any song they would like a capella for around one minutes. The judge at the desk will be trained to both recognize a good singing voice and in the art of guest relations so they can politely tell guests that they aren’t good enough without hurting anyone’s feelings.

If the judge allows the guest to move on, they continue down a nearby hallway to a side area that resembles the red room on the American Idol TV show. Red seats line two walls with small tables between them on which iPods will sit. Guests making it to this stage will use the iPods to select one of over 100 songs to sing in the next round of auditions. Song lyrics are on the iPod and guests will have a few minutes to get familiar with the song they choose before moving on to the “producer’s” room.

This final audition room is similar to the first but feels more important and professional. It is the equivalent of singing in front of Randy, Simon, and Paula in the audition phase seen on the TV show. Inside this room, is a large American Idol red backdrop similar to what is seen on the show. Guests are video recorded during this phase and will sing the song they chose from the iPod. In front of them is a large plasma display mounted on the wall where the lyrics will be shown, so it’s all about the singing at this point, not remembering the words.

The judge in that room will either politely tell guests that they aren’t good enough for the stage or American Idol host Ryan Seacrest will appear on the screen and tell guests that they’ve made it through. Upon making it, guests are given a show time later in the day.

There will be seven main shows per day plus a the finale show each night. The 7 main shows each are around 23 minutes and will feature 3 singers. The finale show is around 45 minutes long and has 7 singers, all winners from each day show.

Guests moving on will be given a lanyard that identifies them as Idol contestants for the day. At that point guests are encouraged to walk through the theme park asking people to come to their show and vote for them.

One hour before the show time, performing guests will receive some help from a vocal coach.

For guests simply wanting to sit in the audience, they will enter a queue in the front of the building where they can watch a pre-show video hosted by first season American Idol runner-up Justin Guarini.

The theater holds up to 1,000 people. The Idol stage is nearly identical to the set seen on TV, with lots of bright colors, spinning lit-up American Idol signs, a big curved screen in the back of the stage, and plenty of plasma displays. If you’ve seen the TV show, you’ve seen this set. The Disney version was designed by the show’s set designer and is the same width as the real stage. The only difference is that this stage is 1/3 of the height of the real one.

On the right side of the stage is a desk where the judges will sit, facing the audience. These judges are for show and will not effect the outcome of the performances. They will be similar in character to Randy, Paula and Simon, but the Simon-type character won’t be as harsh; he’ll stay very “Disney”.

All 3 singers during each of seven shows during the day will perform, after which the audience will vote using the numbered keypads on their armrests to choose a winner. The winners move on to the finale show at the end of the day.

The finale will feature the 7 winners from the day and again the audience will vote. The winner of each day’s finale will receive a special pass allowing them to skip the line at their next regional American Idol TV audition.

Fans of American Idol will love walking into the theater as it feels exactly like stepping onto the TV show’s set. I would imagine that should some talented singers make their way into Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the performances could be very entertaining. However, if the singers are made up of average (or below) singers day after day, this attraction could be your eardrums’ worst nightmare.