Crunch Time

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Oct 14, 2012.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Congrats on the contract Scott!!!!

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work, Scott! ; Congrats on the contract!

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Doc and Michael! ; Going to be a great season with the Crunch. ; Now that I am a part of the staff, going to ask them about doing some special projects like a goal cam, promo photos of the players and mascots, etc. ;

4. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Crunch. ; Seems like an appropriate name for a hockey team. ;

5. gary

gary Member

well they cannot get ogie oglethorpe. he got convicted

6. wddoebler

wddoebler Member

Great pictures!

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

:D ;D ::)

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Bill!

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Catching up on my game processing. ; I am determined to only keep the best from the games for possible future projects I have in mind (this is where learning PhotoShop is going to pay off). So, with that in mind, I thought this photo of the starting goalie before the game might have possibilities.

Syracuse Crunch starting goaltender Riku Helenius (31) during pre-game warmups before playing the Rochester Americans in the Onondaga County War Memorial on Saturday, November 10, 2012.
    [​IMG]

10. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Do you need an assistant, Scott. ; I think I have a sick day or two I could use. ; I'll even let you wear one of my Charlestown Chiefs jerseys. :)

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Anytime, Dennis! ; You saw the Ice Girls photo didn't you?

12. ddindy

Oh, I forgot to mention that my job as assistant would be to shoot the girls while you shoot the game. ;)

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I know the girls would love it, Dennis. ; They are always asking me to take their photos. Tough part of the job. ; :D

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

The Crunch broke out their Alternative jerseys for the two home games last weekend. Both easy victories over Hershey (Caps) and Adirondack (Flyers).

I have not gotten my card back yet so this is the only photo I have (borrowed from the Crunch's FB page) using the Tokina UWA at 16mm on my D700. ; Might have to rent a wider FX one sometime this season. ;

Syracuse Crunch Pierre-Cedric Labrie (20) going for the puck gets in close enough for the UWA lens I was using.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch goaltender Dustin Tokarski (34) makes a blocker save against the Hershey Bears wearing the orange SYR alternative jersey.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Ondrej Palat (12) fires a shot on the Hershey Bears net.
    [​IMG]

Hershey Bears defensemen Dmitry Orlov (28) hip checks Syracuse Crunch Matt Taormina (6).
    [​IMG]

Now, to the white version of the SYR jerseys versus the Adirondack Phantoms.

Syracuse Crunch Riku Helenius (31) makes a toe save while Adirondack Phantoms Rob Bordson (9) looks for a rebound.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Richard Panik (14) battles for control of the puck with Adirondack Phantoms defensemen Danny Syvret (5). No penalty was called.
    [​IMG]

Syracuse Crunch Pierre-Cedric Labrie (20) checks Adirondack Phantoms defensemen Oliver Lauridsen (7) into the boards.
    [​IMG]

15. ddindy

That UWA shot has a cool look to it. ; I like it.

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work, Scott! ; I'll second what Dennis said, the UWA is a really unique look

17. HPS3

HPS3 Member

More great shots Scott!

18. fotodave

fotodave Member

You need to make friends with the people who clean the glass. ; There are too many smudges for top sports photography. Or BYO windex and DIY. ;

Beyond that, tighter and anticipate more. Your photos are more reactionary than anticipating the play. ; For example, the goal shot from the previous page? ; Frame is too loose and the puck is in the back of the net rather than right over the goalies' glove. ; Thats what you want.

Best way to achive it? ; Read the player's body and anticipate when they'd be moving their glove to make the save, following through, jube, etc. ;

If you can talk to the ice people and see if they can get you a real ice level photo hole with some plexi over it, along the dasher, those are badass. ;

Also remote cameras inside the net have to have a special NHL/AHL approved box.

Good luck.....

19. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Matt Taormina? ; He played some time with the Devils, got hurt and "lost" his spot. ; Nice shots, I agree with the others, that wide shot is great!

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thank you for your advice, Dave! ; I am continuing to learn on the job. ; Sadly, there is no place for me to get inside the glass. ; Wish I had a spot between the player's benches like you see in NHL rinks. ; They do have two photographer holes but most of the time there are fans sitting behind them so they are not available.

The plexiglass on one end of the rink is TERRIBLE! ; I have complained and was told they are "supposed" to clean them. ; I am thinking of cleaning some of the inside panes I can get to where the Zamboni's come out to clean the ice. They are not as bad to begin with.

As for anticipation, it was something I had problems with at this level of play in the first couple of games. ; I was used to high school players and these guys are a huge leap in speed and talent. ; I am getting better as I know the game well. ; The goal photo you refer to I choose because the one before it had the puck in a position where it looked like the goalie was stopping it with his pads. I use a Nikon D700 with MB-10 battery grip for 8fps. ; Sometimes, it is not fast enough. This one I think I nailed...

[​IMG]

The remote camera idea has been something I wanted to do but had to wait until they decided to keep me on. ; Now, I need to find out from the AHL what is approved. ; I have an old D70 I can use and will pick up a cheap fisheye for the first attempts until I see it survive a few net crashes. ; ::) Never played with remote triggers either. ; Fun times ahead. Also, want to get a set of lights to use but that is going to take some cash from me and approval from the county who owns the building.