Come on down guys - the weather's fine!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by mainstreet1997, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Its cooler than yesterday but it rained last night. It is currently about 50 degrees and all of the weathermen are like bring out your winter coats people. Yeah right, its a nice balmy 4 in Chicago right now. Got here at about 8:30 AM Saturday and after checking in, headed off to EPCOT - I stayed most of the afternoon practicing my people portrait shots until my battery died. Then went back to to check out the room (3rd floor view of the pool and Swan and Dolphin so I can wave to you guys who are staying there!). Last night was Magic Kingdom. First of all, when is Disney going to figure out that there are enough people for Swan and Dolphin to have their own bus. It started to rain almost as soon as we got there so we grabbed some roof under the Emporium and watched Spectromagic come out of the fire station...I have no respect for people who keep stepping in my shots to take pictures...with their camera phones. I took lots of pictures and thanks to you guys, I wasnt the one taking pictures of the parade with a flash! After the parade, we swam upstream toward Tomorrowland (it was nuts last night. I think the Christmas morning parade was filmed yesterday and MK was open til 11. Hit TTA and Haunted Mansion then discovered Turkey legs and cream cheese pretzels at the Launching Pad). Right now Im dumping my pictures from yesterday...to get ready for a day at Spoodles, a trip to Character Warehouse and then MVMCP! Didnt take my tripod last night but I am VERY happy with the shots I did get...and contemplating if I should take it tonight. Pictures coming soon!

Katie

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. mSummers

mSummers Member

If you want to shoot Spectromagic without all the crowds, find out what days they're running the parade twice. They may do that every night, but I'm not sure. Anyway, after the fireworks, everyone clears out, and you almost have Main Street to yourself. The last time I was there, I camped out on the second floor of MSS and shot the parade and fireworks from up there and then shot the parade again from the ground after everyone left.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

is thursday good enough for me to get there?

4. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

According to my weather app on my iPhone, they are calling for rain on the first day of MouseFest (Thursday). Hopefully it doesn't rain out those folks going to the MVMCP

5. Yeah I figured that out last night. It was raining so we found a spot under the awning at the Emporium and decided to wait for the parade to come out by the fire station, and watch from there. I was pretty much up against the rope but as they started closing off the street more people kept getting in front of me. I eventually moved up to the sidewalk to get a higher vantange point but I was basically shooting through a hole. :( We decided to use the second parade to sneak out before the masses came to the bus stop and of course I turn around and theres Mickey looking RIGHT at me. This is the best I got of Mickey

[​IMG]

Heres my favorite picture
    [​IMG]

All of the pictures I took yesterday were taken handheld and its making me debate taking my tripod to the Christmas party tonight.

Tonight I show no mercy at the Christmas parade! See you guys later this week!

Katie

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice photo of Chip and Dale. I got one from almost the same angle from the opposite side of the float

[​IMG]

Good luck at the parade tonight.

7. DAY 1:

Arrive at Boardwalk at 8:30 AM - then its off to EPCOT!
    [​IMG]
    Must wave to Donald and Daisy on my way through the lobby (AND ITS ALL CHOCOLATE!)

[​IMG]
    I love entering through World Showcase while the rest of the herd tramples through the maingate (yes this is a little more overexposed than Id like but its such a peaceful shot)

[​IMG]
    EPCOT nature (and one of the ugliest birds Ive ever seen! Sorry for the quality. This picture was cropped a lot)

Okay enough silliness time to get on the rides! First up...Soarin!

[​IMG]

and Living with the Land which we havent done in years
    [​IMG]

and then a little snack inside the Land while waiting for our Soarin Fastpass to be good. Ive been trying to get this shot for years!
    [​IMG]

and then time for Mission:Space (Green team please!) This is my Dad and Mom walking toward Mission:Space. There have been a lot of moments like this. They keep walking and I stop to take another picture and then RUN to catch up with them.
    [​IMG]

A stop for a Coke at Electric Umbrella to watch the fountain show -- one of Dad's favorites
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately where we were sitting we were in the path of the fountain spray. Mom wasnt really a fan of that
    [​IMG]

Spaceship Earth time! Time to drag out my 50mm! Lets see what this baby can do!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time for Test Track! (Im driving...oh boy thats scary)...We look like a fun group dont we?
    [​IMG]

Dream car? Definately but I dont think it would work too well in Chicago in the winter
    [​IMG]

11:00 World Showcase is open! Look at this guy we found out hanging in the water by The Odyseey
    [​IMG]

MONORAIL!
    [​IMG]

Mexico on our way to Japan
    [​IMG]

A little entertainment with lunch
    [​IMG]

After this mom and dad went back to Boardwalk to rest but I stayed to take more pictures and listen to the storytellers. I spent about an hour in Japan because its so pretty there (and the drummers and the Daruma seller were there)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I showed my mom this picture and she had no idea where this building was

The view at lunch
    [​IMG]

A hidden Mickey??!!
    [​IMG]

After lunch I continued my way around World Showcase
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like to call this one "Little boat - big barge"
    [​IMG]

China
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this a signal to find a place for Illuminations? (Its 4:45)
    [​IMG]

Whew. And that was just until 5:00! I need a break. Tonight were heading to look at the decorations at the monorail resorts and have dinner at Kona. Yum! Saturday night at MK coming later!

8. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing these here!

The Japan and China shots are my favs~

I think you got better shots after Mom and Dad left you by yourself. I'm thinking you don't take the time you should when you are with others. They know where you are, take your time!

9. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Great shots - I REALLY wish I could be there!

10. That and Im also 27 years old. BTW, I got carded at Kona tonight! :p Its not so much they were rushing me -- theres just too much to do! Im also learning, remember this was day 1 (not sure if my pictures actually get better thought

11. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

;D Carded a Kona? You do look kinda young~

You will absolutely get better, everybody does!

You have to practice to get better, practice, practice, practice!

12. more coming in a few days probably. We leave Disney tomorrow - will be at our house w/o internet access so Ill continue my trip report when I get home Sunday.

13. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Snow's too much for ya? ;)

14. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Funny you should mention that. We actually got a little snow here yesterday. No, I'm just missing my Disney fix! :)

15. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://www.statesman.com/news/mediahub/ ... tId=136591

The picture of the year is #82 of 96.

It was 81 degrees on Tuesday, a record high for 12/9. Then we got the sleet storm that was followed by flurries that night. And it stuck around for half the day on the 10th.

16. goofy101

goofy101 Member

great shots, nice find with the hidden mickey

17. DAY 1 Part 2:

Well were home safe and sound...and IM COLD! Luckily most of the snow has melted but its still cold and gray. Yuck - I miss Florida! Anyawy, heres a recap of my evening at Magic Kingdom

After a brief rest I headed over to Magic Kingdom (Its still day 1 -- how did we put it last night at the Walk around the World Meet? YOU CAN SLEEP WHEN YOU GET HOME!) So we get there, and the trainstation all decorated is there to greet us.

[​IMG]

We got through the bag check and into the gates...and got our first view down Main Street *sigh*
    [​IMG]
    Looking back, I wish I had been in a better position or done a long exposure on this but there were literally a million people there - this was the day the parade was shot (don't worry its recovering nicely -haha) AND MK was open until 11.

It was also beginning to rain so we grabbed shelter under the Emporium and waited for the parade to start. You cant really see it in this picture but above the Emporium sign we could see the rain in the lights. We werent sure if it was rain or it was left over "snow" from the Christmas Party.

[​IMG]

Then it was Spectromagic time! Man I love that music! Did you know that my HS band was in that parade...oops maybe my screenname should have been Spectromagic1997 - oh well we marched down Main Street :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I really wish they would light up the fairy's faces)
    [​IMG]
    (It looks like shes going to eat Flounder!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ETA: As we were walking up Mainstreet I planned to get a few more shots. Well that was made pretty much impossible due to the fact that suddenly, the music seemed to go in fast forward and the floats just took off causing the characters at the end to literally run to keep up! I wish my Dad had been taking videos of this.

After that we headed to Tomorrowland. Im not sure if a fish swimming upstream is the best phrase because there just as many people going our direction as going the opposite direction. When we finally got into Tomorrowland

[​IMG]

we took a ride on the TTA. At this point no one was in the mood to fight our way back to Main Street for Wishes considering we would see HoliWishes the next night at the Christmas Party so we stayed in Tomorrowland and grabbed a couple of turkey legs and cream cheese pretzels - yum! We could see the high fireworks over TTA and hear the music. Later we wandered over to Adventureland for Pirates and then through Liberty Square to hit mom's favorite - Haunted Mansion. Then it was time to head back to Boardwalk as the park closed.

[​IMG]

Coming up: CHRISTMAS PARTY!!!!

18. gary

gary Member

actually the correct and proper phrasing is

" IT'S MOUSEFEST, I'LL SLEEP ON THE PLANE"

19. Oh yeah! *face palm number 2* Man, Im on a roll today!

20. Lets see where was I? Oh yes. Sunday morning - not horribly exciting. Got up to look at my lovely view

[​IMG]

and then took mom and dad to breakfast at Spoodles! (I think there might be a couple of pictures from this on my Dad's camera)

Then we went to Character Premeire at th Orlando Premium Outlet Mall (or whatever its called). No good deals this time :(

That night was our Christmas Party - it was cold but we still had a good time! I was told I could be let in at 4:00 with my party ticket so I was there at 4:00 and the 'rents came later. I spent lots of time in the castle courtyard taking pictures of the statues

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After about 15 minutes the castle stage show started. I had never seen this before so I was pretty excited!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By this time Mom and Dad finally showed up and met me in front of the castle.
    Then it was time for a Dole Whip on the way to Pirates (another chance for me to pull out the 50mm!...and use lots of post processing!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that we stopped at Cosmic Rays for some hot choclate, cookies and Dance party fun
    [​IMG]

and Toontown Fair
    [​IMG]

then we made our way around for Wishes. We found a place on the bridge leading out of Tomorrowland. Not the best place but we could see castle and fireworks. I set up my tripod and just kept shooting. Ill spare you most of the photos I took!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Later it was parade time! I planted my tripod on the corner across the street from the confectionary hoping to catch the parade as it came around the corner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE END.