Article: How to Make your Sky Pop at Sunset

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Craig, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

New Article:
    Make your Sky Colors Pop at Sunset
    I wrote how I get the sky to change colors at sunset/dusk.
    Read it and share your thoughts here!

Here are some more examples and my thoughts behind them:

Here is an example of shooting what was in front of me and the various settings I used to get the shot:
    [​IMG]

In this example, I used two different white balance settings to make two different looks. I also overexposed by 1/2 stop. Also, for these, I just happened to notice the sky was turning the right color, and just shot the scene before me.
    [​IMG]

In this picture, just shooting in A mode, the camera picked white balance, exposure, and shutter speed perfectly. I didnt make any adjustments:
    [​IMG]

This is one of my favorite shots and one I WAITED for! For this shot from 2008, I had to stand in the parking lot for almost an hour waiting for the light to be perfect. I set up the shot as soon as the building and Christmas tree lights turned on, but I had to wait for the sky to be the right color. I didn't want a black sky, I wanted the drama of the blue sky. This light only lasted a few minutes before it was gone.
    [​IMG]

This is an example of looking over my shoulder double checking the light repeatedly. To get this shot, I had to jump up and ditch everyone at the table to go outside in the rain to get this. This time I used tungsten white balance and underexposed by a 1/2 stop.
    [​IMG]

And finally, here is one that didnt work. The light was gone, and this is a throw away picture. I missed the light!
    [​IMG]

so, what do you think?

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

nicely done, craig, and thanks for yet another contribution!

3. Now maybe this is just me but I like the last picture!

Thanks for the tips!

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Very good Craig!

5. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Great article--and BEAUTIFUL images!

This is one of the things I like to fiddle with in post processing--I'll process for the sky, open the picture as an object from ACR to Photoshop, duplicate the smart object, then process the WB for the rest of the shot. ; I've actually had some success adjusting the color correction settings to achieve the same result via the shadow/highlight tool in Photoshop.

Have you tried messing with the shadow/highlight tool to recover any blue in the last shot?

6. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Craig this was an amazing article and if I can remember any of it, I will try to put it to use next weekend, hopefully you won't be too far away and can help me remember this all. ;)

7. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Hey Craig, great article.

BTW, you need a new head shot for your contributions, you've lost so much weight we cannot recognize you anymore...haha

8. Craig

haha thanks Ray!

9. Craig

thanks everyone, I hope it helps!
    Thanks Tim, I love being able to share what I've figured out.