All set for PixelMania 2010... (11/28 to 12/7) (and 2/25 to 3/3)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by RedOctober25, Jan 9, 2010.

1. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

So I got my next Reservation all set for the sunday after Thanksgiving thru the following weekend. ; Here's hoping that PixelMania 2010 gets set for the same time it was this year. ; As for the upcoming trip at the end of Feb (25th), I just purchased a Manfrotto Pistol Grip and a couple of Filters (Circular Polarized and 4 point Star) that I can't wait to try out. ; I am hoping I can come close to Tim's photos at MuppetVision 3D with the Polarizer. ; And then off to the Castle at night (and close-ups of Main Street) with the 4-Point Star.

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Nice purchases, and I'm jealous that you have your trips planned already. ; I'm not sure when I am getting back to the parks at this point, but we shall see.

3. ELinder

ELinder Member

Which pistol grip head did you get? Ever since I saw Tim's grip action ballhead at Pixelmania, I've been looking at them, but I can't decide whether to get the vertical one or the horizontal one. Please let us know how you like it once you've have the chance to try it out.

Erich

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Erich, the Manfrotto 322RC2 supports more weight, and you can change it from right hand horizontal to left hand or vertical if you want.

5. ELinder

ELinder Member

Oh, I didn't realize it also works in the vertical. I misread the description and thought it needed an optional bracket for vertical orientation shots. Hmm...

Erich

6. Fishphotos

Fishphotos Member

I too am planning on the week following Thanksgiving! ; Let's hope it is a good year for everyone and we can all get back to WDW!

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

we shall see. ; depends on if i can get a permission slip from the mrs. for the 2nd straight year!

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i use the jr. elbow bracket in conjunction with the pistol grip head (vertical)... this way if i want to switch between vertical and horizontal, the camera is still centered above the center column instead of hanging off the side. ; takes an extra minute to set up but it has been a godsend for vertical pics.

9. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I'm all ready, no matter when it ends up being...let's hope Tim's wife is feeling very charitable with the permission slips!!

I can't wait to be back again myself in a few weeks...got 18 days and counting.

10. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Re: All set for PixelMania 2010... (11/28 to 12/7)

Maybe if we all send her notes saying "Pretty, Pretty Please with loads of Cherries on top!"

11. Stitch

Stitch Member

Tell her she can come along. Leave the kiddos with a family member and let her spend the trip in the spa!

12. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

So, just got the UPS package from B&H... ; Wow, the Pistol grip felt so heavy I had to double check the weight limits of the tripod and the weight of the camera and tripod head. ; Looks like I have a little over a half a pound to spare for now. ; The only downside I see right now is that it almost doubles the size of the folded length of the tripod. ; Results and review to come later...

13. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I have the same pistol grip that Tim has and I don't keep it on the tripod unless in use. ;

14. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Do you just unscrew it from the bushing?

15. Grumpwurst

Sometimes the bushing stays inside the pistol grip, sometimes it stays on the tripod. ; But since I only use the tripod with this head, I don't care where the bushing lives just that it's where it needs to be when time to screw the head on. ; Otherwise, the tripod won't fit int he handy carrying bag

16. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

WDW Today just announced that Reunion 2010 will be Dec. 1-6. ; For those of us with limited vacation time, that would also be a great time for Pixelmania II.

17. Stitch

Stitch Member

For the sake of all of you that have to travel from out of town I agree with what Dennis said.

But as someone who is great friends with the WDW Today crew, go with a different weekend so I don't have to choose. I would hate to have to choose been two good groups!

18. Grumpwurst

Unfortunately, April wouldn't be the only one in the boat of "I don't want to choose between two groups". ; Plus, I think since WDW Today has announced their dates, the other groups will choose those same dates for themselves as well.

I think Pixelmania should always be a time of it's own. ; That takes pressure off of the hosts about time because I'm sure many of the meets ran over. ; Plus, it's a different kind of event. ; It's an interactive experience..or so I've heard ;)

19. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

:confused: But it can't be another weekend ; :mad: ... I already have my vacation set and I want to go to PixelMania! ; :'( ... But seriously, it is potentially over 300 days away.

20. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

You all make a lot of sense. ; Both Pixelmania and the Reunion were each very time consuming. ; The schedules didn't look that busy, but there were always impromptu things happening to fill the gaps.

Having both of them the same week would leave no time to eat or sleep! ; :eek:

For now, I'm just going to let the People In Charge do their planning and see what, if anything, I can do to attend at least part of both.