alaskan cruise 5/3/11-5/10/11

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Photos / Lost Attractions/ Cast Mem' started by gary, May 3, 2011.

1. gary

gary Member

5/7/11, today's port call is juneau, these are taken early this morning while docking, the first is looking straight back down the gastineau channel that leads into juneau, an alaskan marine highway ferry is right behind us

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

waterfront in juneau

and across the channel

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

More nice shots. ; I think the name of the hotel is pretty funny, is that why you took that shot?

3. gary

gary Member

yeah we just were walking around the few square blocks of skagway and there it was, the morning wood hotel, so me being me and all, i just has to shoot it

so today's port of juneau was pretty physical, started off with a trenous hike of about 5 miles round trip to get to the best views of the mendenhall glacier, much better than the easy visitors center paths, the west glacier trail

first up, the lake the glacier flows into

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

sorry about those trees blocking part of the glacier view

4. gary

gary Member

after the hike we returned to town and took the mt roberts tram, up top has a nature center, and a tlinglit interpretive center, very informative

the tram

view of the wonder

the nature center

i'll post more later, it's cocktail time at cove cafe

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I really love that shot of the Wonder from high above! ; Great shots! ; I too would not have been able to pass up on the hotel!

6. gary

gary Member

these next few were all taken from the balcony, stateroom 7616, while sailing away from juneau

someone's nice shoreline house

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

some of the shoreline after we sailed out of the gastineau channel into stephans passage

i left the balcony railing in on purpose, to give some scale

and of course there should be whales

coming up later today, ketchikan, 2 excursions for today, lighthouses, totems and eagles followed by the great lumberjack show

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Did you get a Morning Wood Hotel t-shirt? ; I'd hate to think you'd pass that one up.

Great shots. ; Can't wait until you get home and can post the whole set.

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Still loving your shots Gary! ; Cant wait to see if you get any eagle shots!!

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Throughly enjoying ; your photos, Gary! ; Thank you for sharing during the cruise!

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Gary, these are amazing! ; Thank you so much for sharing!

11. gary

gary Member

5/8/11, ketchikan, first excursion of the day was a boat tour named lighthouses, totems, & eagles, a boat ride from a marina about 7 miles north of ketchikan, around some islands, including one with a lighthouse, about 10 eagle nests, a few eagles, and some harbor seals, the eagle shots were done at 300mm, and severely cropped, and shot from a moving boat, so they are not razor sharp, but you can tell they are eagles

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

and some harbor seals, hanging out at an old floating logger camp, these were floating villages, complete with schools, stores and post offices

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Cool shots Gary! ; Again, thanks so much for sharing these!

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yep, there be Eagles there. ; That's the kind of photo I got of them at Montezuma but I didn't have the excuse of being on a moving boat. ; :)

14. gary

gary Member

these will be the last posts for a couple of days, or maybe tommorrow at the vancouver airport killing time before flight, as i am almost out of disney internet minutes

an eagle on the nest

in a tree

totem bight state park, home of the largest totem in alaska

and the afternoon excursion, the great alaskan lumberjack show. karen wanted to do this, it was more fun than i expected

and the old crowd favorite, log rolling

15. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very nice! ; Thanks again for taking the time to "bring us along."

16. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great shots Gary! ; I can't wait to see the rest of the shots!

17. gary

gary Member

so i'm almost home, filing this from chicago, midway airport, have an 0900 flight home to islip, then i'll be filling out the galleries on my phanfare site, i have a few from our partial inside passage, the pilots would not take us through bella ; bella and the grenville channel as we were too late for the slack tide, per captain thord when the tide is running full it's like a white water river

; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

this is the johnstone strait we are entering

; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

notice all the tidal whirlpools on the surface

[​IMG]

and a log tow, our first

more to come when i am home and maybe have ; better connection

18. dinkybean758

dinkybean758 Member

Thank you so much for sharing Gary!!! It was such a joy to spend some time with you.

19. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

More thanks for taking the time on your vacation to share the wonderful pictures! ; Looking forward to your galleries.

20. gary

gary Member

so with some more time to kill,i'm back at the airport posting, adventures in flying, part 2, right after i finished the midway post, our southwest flight got canceled, the plane was in nashville and broken, so with 5 minutes to spare i had to close up fast, book it to another gate, we are now in bwi with 2 1/2 hrs to kill until the next flight to islip. so i'll continue gallery posting and keep this thread alive a little longer

coming around the point in the strait

and the money shot, i just can't add anything to this, great house, aid to navigation and fishing boat, all together
    the photography gods loved dorothy's boy this day

resort with a view

bc ferries, same company as the one we took to schwartz bay, just smaller boats and route here

and occasionally someone in a small boat would buzz us to get photos, in the above house photo i could see the point & shoot flash

and because i never tire of these kind of mountain vistas, you'll just have to put up with a lot of these in the thread and the galleries

and one more for dennis

and the end, the last night, the last towel animal

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;