2011 Disney World Marathon Weekend

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Planning & Transportation' started by realfam, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Here was the pacing requirements in last years race:

All athletes entering the Marathon and the Half Marathon must be able to maintain
    a 16-minute per mile pace throughout the race. Anyone who is not able to maintain
    a 16-minute per mile pace will be picked up and transported to the Family Reunion
    area at Epcot. You can be picked up at any point along the course for not
    maintaining a 16-minute per mile pace. Pace Cyclists will be on the course indicating
    when runners are behind pace by placing orange flags at mile markers according to
    the official pace time. If you reach a mile marker with an orange flag, please note you
    are behind the required 16-minute per mile pace and can be picked up at any time.

2. realfam

realfam Member

This pace is basically a brisk walk!

3. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Good to hear because I am freaking a bit about the distance. ; It is the distance I drive every morning to work plus a little more which to me is just crazy! ; But I can certainly do a brisk walk. ; I LOOVEE walking!

4. Do fear the distance, relish the experience. 10,000 of your closest friends sharing in the early morning the best race in the world.

Once you see who does this event you will no longer doubt yourself. I have seen people well over 200 lbs running this even. Just take it easy and break it up into smaller chunks.

5. If I can do it, you can too. It's not as hard as you may think with the proper training.

6. realfam

realfam Member

The only problem I have with people that walk (and please no one take offense, I think its great people are out and participating), is that many walkers will put themselves in the wrong corrals at the start and end up blocking the way of those who wanted to run it. ;This als makes it dangerous for those trying to run around them. ;Hopefully walkers place themself in the rear to avoid these problems. ;I do recall recall registering for this event and Disney being proactive and asking for previous race results to position people properly.
    I also believe that should be 2 categories in this marathon. ;A walk and a run. ;There's a big difference in running a half/full marathon, and walking it. ;Many major events do.

7. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

/Sean Waves

Hi I am over 200 pounds lol

8. realfam

realfam Member

OK marathoner's just thought I'd check to see how everyones plans and training are coming along. ;
    My flights and hotel are booked and just completed the Niagara Falls 1/2 marathon this past weekend. ; Few days of rest and then back to my training schedule.

9. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

I am still building up distance and was pretty proud of myself when I made it around the loop in my community which is almost 5km in roughly 35 minutes. ; I lost track of time which was a great feeling. ; Doesn't sound like much, but if I keep it up, I will be running a half marathon in no time...I hope (FX)!!

10. realfam

realfam Member

Good for you!!!!! ; Starting off is not easy, the most important thing is that your out there!!!!!! ; Enjoy the time running and all the benefits will follow

Keep it up Minnie ;D

11. realfam

realfam Member

Well everyone 2 weeks today I will be heading down to Buffalo to catch my flight to MCO for the Marathon weekend. ; I started off as going alone, which then 2 of my close friends joined in and 2 of there friends joined in to make us 5 adults (no kids, how cool is that for a Disney trip!)
    Hope everyone's training has gone well and I guess at this point we all should be tappering our runs. ; After running hard in Niagara I made the decision that Disney would be a fun run and I will force myself to stop for charaters and activities (no trying for personal bests).
    I received my race day info email yesterday from Run Disney, so I figure this would be a good forum to share tips and help each other prepare for race day. ; One of the things that concerns me with this race is the temperature. ; We need to be in the corrals by 5am. ; Florida lately has been everything but normal. ; I would like to run in shorts, but I don't think that will happen. ; I'd also prefer not to run with my jacket. ; Being such an early start I am betting its gonna be cold cold cold. ; So one of the things I will be doing in the next few days is heading off to the local Goodwill store to buy a oversized sweatshirt and sweatpants that I can wear over my running gear until I reach the start. ; I not sure if many of you know this, but runners will disgard these extra clothes once the race starts and their body warms. ; The best part of this is you r helping local charities. ; Last year Disney Marathon collected over 4000lbs of clothing disgarded from runners. ; I'm also considering stickings an over sized garbage bag in my pocket as well in case of wind or rain (thin, light and cheap rain/wind coat).
    I next to never get out of bed before 6 am, so running this marathon that starts at 5:30am will be a challenge of its own (even worse for those on the west coast).
    I personally want to congradulate everyone here that is participating for this event, you have more than likely put in a lot of time training in. ;
    If anyone has any tips they would like to share, please feel free to post them.......

12. realfam

realfam Member

I am planning on running with my digital camera so hopefully I will have some great pics to share with you all....

And where is everyone staying/? ; I'm at Port Orleans Riverside.....Jan6 to 11th

13. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

Hopefully our paths will cross somewhere I'm at All Star Music Jan 5-12 I'll be in Buffalo on the 4th hopefully to do some shopping before we go. Training is not going as well as I hoped trying to find the time for the 4 hour runs has been hard but I'm confident if I take it easy and don't push it finishing wont be a problem. I won't be qualifying for Boston on this one. I ran the AngusGlen 1/2 Marathon last month with a personal best 1:58 time and still felt good at the end so I'm building on that. I hope the weather turns around standing in the corral for an hour before the race was not fun.

14. realfam

realfam Member

Great job on Angus Glen! ; Sub 2...... ; I think for all of us at this point of time one of the most important things is to stay injury and cold free.
    I know its pretty hard to find the time for the long runs, especially since your going for a full.\
    Keeping the fingers crossed on the weather and not liking the time we need to get out of bed!

15. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

My biggest challenge right now is staying healthy it seems everyone around me is sick I'm staying locked in my office for the next day and a ; 1/2.

16. realfam

realfam Member

Hope you all have survived the holidays without eating too and squeezing some runs in! ; For me, I ate like a pig, but at least was able to stick to my running schedule (except for christmas day). ;
    I went out boxing day and bought ; pair of running Sugoi compression socks. ; WOW they are absolutley amazing! I've run 3 times in them now and my legs feel awesome. ; I cannot believe how well they work. ; If you haven't tried a pair, splurge and try a pair. ; I'm a believer!
    Well I cannot believe in a few days I will be back in WDW and in a week I will be running. ; I believe I'm as ready and strong as I could possibly be and now its time to enjoy all the hard work and trainging.

17. weemcp

weemcp Global Moderator Staff Member

good luck to everyone!

18. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Good luck to all the runners. ; Sean and I had to cancel so we are routing for everyone from home. ; Hope it isn't a cold start for you. ; Don't forget to let us know how you did, we would love to hear.

19. scratch

scratch Member

Good Luck! ; I hear it's not so cold this year!

20. I'm anxious to hear how everyone did. I know our own Northern Mouse did fantastic in his first marathon.

After running in 2010, I missed it in 2011 so have decided I'm signing up for 2012, and may even try to tackle the full this time.