Train Station at 11mm

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by Scottwdw, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Whew....I know it's not as hard as it looks to someone who has mastered the program. ; I know when I work on things, I don't realize how much I've done until I look at all the adjustments I made. ; Some I have as pre-sets so that helps. ; I am sure you have your own shortcuts, too.

Thanks for the insight into a PSer's world, Tom! ;

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

u-point is awesome!
    Here I downloaded the original and worked it in paint shop using NIK plugins.
    Viveza boosted the brightness and contrast on the lower half. I then went to tonal contrast to boost the overall image contrast and sharpness.

Here it is with one layer and u-point technology:

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You guys are having way too much fun and I can't get to the good stuff until I get home. ; ;D ;

Craig that is awesome and is more like how I remembered seeing the scene. ; Of course, you and Tom are going by your own memory as to how it really looks.

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

It's very interesting seeing different people's take on the same image. Here's my try at it. I did just about all the adjustments in Adobe Camera Raw using the sliders, so I would imagine Aperture has comparable controls. Once in Photoshop itself, only resize, a large and small radius unsharp filter, and PTLens, no additional layers or masks.

Erich

[expando]http://gallery.mac.com/erichlinder/100087/Erich_version_Scott/web.jpg[/expando]

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Using Aperture 2.1.4 Dodge & Burn Plug-in. ; Dodged the logo area by 0.50 strength. ; Dodged area just above logo (trash cans and wall) by 0.25 strength. ; Finished off using Aperture adjustments (contrast, color saturation, levels and edge sharpening).

[​IMG]

Expand
    [expando]http://www.sthomasphotos.com/photos/812050738_ksddt-O.jpg[/expando]

6. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

7. Paul

Paul Member

I agree, nice work everyone on tweaking Scott's photo!! ; I have photoshop elements which I used once in awhile but I just don;t have a great handle on it. ; I much prefer Lightroom and would use the Graduated Filters to boost the lower half and perhaps lower the upper half and then maybe use a brush to weak certain areas. ; This is kinda sorta the layer approach using Lightroom I guess.

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great shot Scott! ; I like the angle just as you took it.

9. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Threads like this make me realize how much I need to learn about post before I can ever compete with you guys. ; Thanks for the different looks.

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work guys! ; Here's my attempt:

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

12. ELinder

ELinder Member

I was thinking about this shot last night. How hard is it to correct perspective distortions on these UWA lenses? I'm wondering if it's possible to get closer to the inlaid logo with a taller tripod, and angle the lens down to get more of it in frame, with the station still at the top, and then fix the distortion in post. Would it end up looking too artificial? Would it even be possible to get enough image in frame to be able to have leeway when manipulating the perspective and not end up with a tiny castle image?

Erich

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

It might be Erich. ; Especially a wide angle on a full frame body. ; That logo is big and I had to move back to get most of it in (see original photo I previously linked to). ; In retrospect, I should have done just the logo alone. ; Next time I'll try that.

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

Erich, ; Photoshop has a great lens correction tool built into it, but if you lean the lens down too far, it might distort too much to get it to look right. ; You should be able to get all of the verticals correct, but the image might look a little squished vertically. ; Its worth a shot though... ;

The only thing is that by going high, you might loose the great lighting that Scott has on the "M", the "KI" and the "M" which is what I think makes it such a good shot. ; The light hitting those letters at a very low angle in relation to the camera is what makes them really pop in this image.

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Micheal, thanks for your contribution to the community project. ; :) ; I need to learn a lot more about using Aperture which is something I am going to take time with once I upgrade. ; I do okay but I know I can do better.

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  17. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Thanks Scott-

My work monitor must be brighter than mine at home though- this morning I can see the line where I added dark sky to the top. ; ???

18. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I'm probably in the minority on this, but most of the time I don't care too much about the distortion created by using the UWA at an angle. ; In fact, I almost always use it at an angle to GET this distortion. ; The part you're emphasizing will look draw the eye so the distortion isn't going to be overly noticeable. ; Just my take. ; Plus distortion control will usually require a crop, and then you might lose elements of the shot. ; Here you could probably distort and correct by painting in black sky, but in other cases cropping can be painful.

Of course, this rationale doesn't apply to all shots, some definitely need to be corrected. ; It's also just my take...I could very well be in the small minority on it.

After reviewing my version, I definitely overdid it with the contrast...my wonder, though, is why the ground is so much more colorful in mine? ; I only increased the saturation VERY slightly, and most of that color was there before the increase. ; Odd...

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Tom, I think I have an answer for you. ; I push my sensor in the WB area. ; Really pushes the red channel which might be what got you.