Train Station at 11mm

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by Scottwdw, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I've had this idea in my head and finally got a chance to give it a try leaving MK at 1:45AM. ; Still not there yet as the angle and light makes it hard to see the logo.

[expando]http://www.sthomasphotos.com/photos/809082779_Zk7qJ-XL.jpg[/expando]
    Nikon D70/Tokina 11-16, 10s, f/11, ISO 200, EV +0.7, 11mm FL

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

It's still nice Scott!

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

That's a cool idea. ; I actually like the way the light hits the logo at a low angle at both M's and the K. ; Maybe some light painting or flash at a low angle could help brighten some of the darker spots on the logo?

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

There's an idea, Michael. ; Will have to look for someplace near me I can practice doing that.

5. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I tried to do this during the day but there were too many people in the shot (although not on the logo) for my liking. ; Whenever we're in this area at night, security is ready for us to leave, so I don't have the time to stop and set up. ; I like what you've done here! ; I think if you could edit layers and mask, you could make it near-perfect.

6. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

This is very nice- I think some more processing could really make the bottom half of the image pop.

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I threw a curve at it after pulling in the black point using Picnik.com (only editor available to me at the moment). ; I know Roger, I need to upgrade to Aperture 3. ; Soon, I promise.

First version from OP.
    [​IMG]

Curved version.
    [​IMG]

Expando Curved version.
    [expando]http://www.sthomasphotos.com/photos/811719463_tMj9P-XL-1.jpg[/expando]

8. Roger

Tim and I did something similar at Disneyland in 2007; there is a logo on the second story of Space Mountain, so we were getting shots of the top of the mountain with the logo in it. ; Unfortunately 17mm on APS-C wasn't wide enough...I started looking for my non-posted images this morning before I left for work...perhaps I can salvage something with Aperture v. the old way I was handling those images (It was REALLY hard to get a good shot since the Mountain is very bright).

And no Scott, I wasn't going to chide you for A3.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You should, Roger, now that I am caught up with my processing and upgraded to a MacBook Pro, there's no reason not too. ; I was j/k with ya anyway. ; You can bet once I get A3, I will be looking back at some older photos to see if I can improve them with the new tools.

10. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

nice Scott!
    I love the colors and the brightened foreground in the new version.
    Is there way to bring the lights on the building back to the original brightness?

that would make this perfect

11. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

There's really no way around using layer masks for a shot like this. ; The lights of the train station and turnstiles (ans the sky) are perfect in the original, whereas the ground is perfect in the update.

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

What I need is an upside down split ND grad effect. ; I have seen people selling pre-sets for such an effect for A3 and I know LR2 has it as I saw it demonstrated last fall.

I don't own PS so I have no access to an editor with layer masks. ;

13. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Scott, I copied your original and played with it in acdsee photo editor for a few minutes. I duplicated it, erased the top part of the photo, brightened and added contrast to the bottom, and then merged them. then I boosted contrast to the overall image.
    I hope you dont mind, I wanted to see if this was something I could do, because like you said, unless you use a filter when taking the picture, this would have to done in the computer.

I'll Delete this if I stepped on your toes!

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Not at all, Craig. ; What's tough is getting the all the letters to come out as there is spot lighting at the ends and middle. ; It's closer than what I could get. ; I've been playing with dodging the bottom part in Picnik but it's not good enough. ; Aperture 2 has that and I will work on it tonight some.

If anyone wants a crack at this, here's a link to the original image: MK Entrance

You will notice I cropped it from the original to 16x9 ratio (HD)

15. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Is Photoshop the only editor with layers/masks (this is an honest question--it and ACR are the only things I use)? ; I was really under the impression that most photo editing programs had the ability to work with layers (or something comparable). ; I don't think I could get by without them.

If you don't mind Craig's editing, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it...

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Be my guest, Tom. ; The original is linked in the post above yours. ;

Lightroom and Aperture do not have layer editing. Sounds like Craig's acdsee doesn't either. ; Nikon's Capture NX uses U-point technology instead of layers.

Aperture 3 has new brushes which look similar to U-Point. Maybe Roger or Paul can chime in here when they gets a chance about how they work.

17. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

My take:
    [​IMG]

[expando]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee68/tbricker/736205698_3mmoG-Ocopy-1.jpg[/expando]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Tom. ; Did you do something to the castle logo? ; Looks like it's been highlighted more than just turning up the exposure. ;

My challenge is to see if I can replicate this look in the tools I own. ; Really appreciate you and Craig for helping out!

19. Roger

In A3, you can brush in certain adjustments to an image, and since there are no actual changes to the RAW file, layers really aren't necessary as much. ; Example - you can now dodge and burn using brushes....I haven't finished exploring the use of them quite yet.

20. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I really wish I could get the image to display at 50% size here; it looks much better on my screen. ; Here, a lot of the lines look jagged for some reason (if you want a copy of the file, I can email it to you).

I really wish Photoshop had a way to export steps into text. ; That would make this so easy. ; Here is roughly what I did.

1. ; Converted image to Smart Object and drastically increased shadows (+30 or so) while slightly increased highlights and midtone contrast (masked out sky so it retained original color).
    2. ; Used adjustment layer to dramatically increase contrast and brightness (+50 and +25, respectively) in lower 50% of image (masked out top half).
    3. ; Used adjustment layer to dramatically increase contrast and slightly increase brightness (+35 and +10, respectively) in lower 50% of image (masked out top half).
    4. ; Used adjustment layer to dramatically increase contrast and brightness (+50 and +25, respectively) in Magic Kingdom logo (masked out rest).
    5. Used adjustment layer to increase gamma throughout.
    6. Used burn tool to decrease exposure on one part of MK logo, MK Train Station sign, and clock.
    7. Used adjustment layer to increase saturation slightly.
    8. Sharpened using LAB sharp/feather/USM Action preset.
    9. Found center point and cropped at (rough) center.

In retrospect (after looking at the other images), it would have likely looked better with less contrast in the center lower portion of the image. ; Oh well.