The TMIP Picture of the Day Thread

Discussion in 'Picture of the Day' started by Tim, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Main Street Time Lapse

Main Street Time Lapse

[​IMG]

When I went and got set up to make this amazing shot on Main Street USA, it required using just about every toy in my camera bag. ; The concept was simple: ; take a long, timed exposure down Main Street USA facing Cinderella Castle and use the long shutter speed to make the people that are walking and milling about "ghost out". ; This effect is often used to show motion during nighttime exposures but it is rarely seen during daytime hours.

Of course,a 25 second shutter speed is improssible to do hand-held and there are too many people around during the day to comfortably use a tripod so I used a little creativity to get the stability I needed. ; I set my kids stoller up in the middle of the street and rigged up my camera using a Manfrotto Magic Arm and Manfrotto Super Clamp to create what I affectionately call "StrollerPod". ; After getting the camera and StrollerPod rigged up and in position, I then used two neutral density filters (ND400 and ND.9) two create a whopping 12 stop light reduction to really extend the shutter speed. ; By way of comparison, 12 stops faster than 25 seconds would have been somewhere around 1/125 second without the filters.

After taking the shots (and drawing some cool conversation from PhotoPass who thought my StrollerPod was the coolest thing they had ever seen), I then gave them some love in Photoshop to really pop out the details and fine tune the final image. ; I am very pleased with the final result; the only I would have liked to have been able to do is to have shot this from 10 feet high on a cherry-picker but I don't see that one happening any time soon.

What do YOU all think?
    Technical Details: ; Canon 1dMk4,Canon 24-105 f/4 L, 25 sec, f/11, ISO 100
    Post Processing: ; Adobe Photoshop CS5 Raw Conversion, Custom Topaz Boost
    Photo taken 8/5/2012
    ;
    Main Street USA, The Magic Kingdom

2. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

Great shot Tim! ; Did that guy on the left seriously hold that solid for your full duration ?

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Love it!

Another Incredible poster using Tapatalk 2!

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You must have been in the Dead Center of the Room for the HM photo.

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Love that shot of Main Street! ; Very cool idea and excellently executed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice shot of Main Street! ; You should try that technique at the Haunted Mansion too... the ghost effect would be perfect there.

How long did you have to stick around to get the HM photo? ; I tried that with my 14mm once and was in there long enough that the gargoyles told me to get out

7. Tim

Scott, yup- I moved my wretched body into the dead center of the room.... as we exited after the ceiling sequence. ;
    Michael, I pretty much pre-focused prior to the stampede exiting the room and cracked off a few shots in rapid succession while being ushered out with the mob. ;

8. Tim

AN EVENING IN ANANDAPUR

[​IMG]

Back in April while we were in Walt Disney World during Easter Vacation, Disney's Animal Kingdom previded a rare treat and stayed open extra late. ; Since there are no more Extra Magic Hours at Animal Kingdom, my buddy Jeff and I decided to take FULL advantage of the opportunity. ; After hanging out behind Flame Tree Barbecue waiting for the sun to go down, we got to work, traversing the park and looking forward to photographing the park.
    I have always liked the way this particular scene is presented and the walk-up to Expedition Everest is just a thing of beauty. ; With the exception of a trash can and merchaside location, this scene is just beautiful. ; I captured this image using a 25 second shutter speed (tripod) and then topped it off with a bit of Topaz Adjust.

Technical Details: ; Canon 1dMk4,Canon 24-105 f/4 L, 25 sec, f/8, ISO 100
    Post Processing: ; Adobe Photoshop CS5 Raw Conversion, Custom Topaz Boost
    Photo taken 4/4/2012
    ;
    Expedition Everest, Asia, Animal Kingdom

9. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

For now. ; Everyone knows you have to search for unobtainium at night though.

Beautiful image Tim.

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Sweet! ; Always nice to get some after sunset time in DAK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Tim

That would be sweet.

12. Tim

Happy Birthday!

[​IMG]

Click the image above for the full written article.

13. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Cool shot, I never try too much shooting in the HM, I find it very frustrating, but this is making me reconsider that.

And Happy Belated Birthday!

14. Tim

15. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Very nice Tim! ; None of mine were close to that good. ; I made an oops on the settings and didn't realize it till the next day. ; Hanging my head in shame. ; :(

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very nice! ; Love the purples in there. ; Looks like you had a better location than we found this summer.

17. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Awesome shot!

Sent from my iPhone...

18. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work, Tim! ; The lighting is awesome

19. Tim

20. Tim

Some real catching up to do! ; So here we go!

11/8/2013 - American Alligator
    [​IMG]

My family and I had the opportunity to take the “Behind the Seedsâ€Â