PIXELMANIA! You In?

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by Tim, Mar 17, 2009.

1. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Solo trips are nice even if you aren't there just to photograph . ; I've always had at least a few days solo on each trip and it is so nice to be able to see what I want when I want with no one telling me we have to be somewhere at a particular time (show/meal/etc.). ;

2. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Nancy and I will most likely not be there. ; It looks like we'll be traveling to China in November to get Kai. ; So, the ability to get to WDW in very early December seems an impossibility. ; Especially considering I don't get paternity leave for Kai or the birth of my child in March

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Wow, Ray, that was fast, wasn't it? ; Or has it been longer than I remembered? ; We'll catch you, Nancy and your kids in the future! ; Hope everything works out and bring back pics from China to show us (and not just of Kai, either. :) )

4. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

So now I have discovered that I will be bringing all 3 of my digital cameras to Pixelmania. ; I was playing around with my "old" Kodak 4mp camera and realized that the exposure settings are not locked out like my newer Sony. ; That means I can go from f2.7-f8 and 16" to 1/3200 with no restrictions. ; Now I can start taking some of those Fancy-Shmancy Night-time photos. ; All I have left to do is find a small mirror to attach to the newer Sony so I can use the IR remote from behind the camera (for fireworks).

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

You shouldn't have any restrictions on your Sony camera at all for taking night shots - Do you still have the DSC-H50? ; If so, you should be able to enter 'S' (shutter priority) mode, and choose a shutter speed between 1/2000 to 30 seconds. ; In 'A' (aperture priority) mode, you should be able to choose any aperture from F2.7 (at wide) to F8, and the camera will select the shutter speed between 1/2000 and 8 seconds. ; Finally, in 'M' (Manual) mode, you can actually choose any shutter speed from 1/4000 to 30 seconds AND any aperture from F2.7 to F8. ; Plus, your ISO can be fixed manually from 100-3200 or kept on auto.

I believe the only modes that restrict your shutter speeds and aperture range are the 'green camera' auto mode, the 'P' (Program) mode, and the scene modes. ; I took thousands of night shots to great effect with my H5, the forerunner to your H50...up to 30 second shutters.

6. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

I am DEFINITELY maybe in ; :p

It's about 60/40 at this point that I'm going to at least one day of Pixelmania! :)

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear it Arny! ; Can't wait!

8. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I haven't figured that out yet then. ; Whenever I enter the PASM modes it limits all the options that it doesn't want you to take a "bad" photo. ; The lowest shutter speed I have been able to attain that way is 1/4 of a second. ; I can ramp it up to 1/4000, but the only way to get more that a quarter second is to shoot in the "Fireworks" Scene mode. ; I may have to quick lesson at Pixelmania if there is a workaround.

9. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Guess what I did... I read the manual again! ; Anyway, I figured out what was wrong with my camera/me. ; I mainly shoot sporting events and use the continuous shooting mode almost exclusively. ; Within that mode you are only able to shoot 1/4 to 1/4000 and an ISO of 80 to 400. ; However, when I turned off the Continuous mode I was able to run it down to 30 seconds. ; You know, I had even e-mailed Sony about this and they gave me a blanket statement with no help what so ever. ; Guess that leaves my Carry-on bag a little lighter. ; Thanks Justin for making me dig deeper.

10. zackiedawg

Glad to hear you figured it out! ; I don't have the H50, but I have had the H1 and H5 and many years experience shooting with those cameras - from the Sony boards I occasionally follow, I knew the H50 hadn't changed those parameters from the H5. ; Now, set those apertures around F4-6.3, 5-10 seconds of shutter, and the lowest ISO, and rattle off some awesome night shots!

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yep, the manuals aren't easy to read sometimes but they hold the keys to many mysteries. ; BTW, does it have a Bulb setting? ; That would allow you to open up the shutter and leave it open for as long as you want and then close it. ; It's a handy setting to use for fireworks.

12. zackiedawg

Nah...no bulb settings. ; That's not something I've ever seen on ultrazooms or prosumers. ; Most of them cap at 30 seconds...which is still reasonably long enough to pull in as much light as you'd need for most situations, especially considering the depth of field advantage the small sensors give which allows you to shoot reasonably wide open (2.8) and still get everything in focus. (the flip-side of course, is that you generally don't have the shallow DOF for when that effect is desireable).

When I shot with my H5, I would use 20-30 seconds a lot for dark night scenes...always got very good results. ; Key was low ISO to keep any noise at bay.

13. mPower

mPower Member

Really tempted right now. Any word on schedule?

14. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I'm sure Tim's giving it a lot of thought this week while he's scouting out locations at Disney World. ; ;)

15. mPower

mPower Member

When r u guys doing the ak emh? Is that wed or thurs?

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

17. mPower

mPower Member

Hmmmmmmm :D

18. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

finally got my plain ticket purchased. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Are there any threads for ADR's? Traveling solo and would be nice to share a few meals.

19. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

there should be a schedule of events coming soon. ; i don't think adr's has even been discussed at this time but if you want to start a thread about it, please feel free!

20. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

I'm getting closer and closer to being able to commit and officially register for at least the Saturday events. Can't wait until we get the 'schedule of events' and to meet folks! :)

Zeagle, great idea about the ADRs....I think that we definitely should plan it out. :D