Mousefest 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Sean&Karen, May 5, 2008.

1. meyernl

meyernl Member

Tim, my daughter and I will be at any meet you have!

2. Oh Im so looking forward to getting a new look at Disney with some new friends. I needed that...tough day.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

congrats!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  4. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

Looking forward to all of the TMIP meets and trying to figure out what to do about a tripod that's not a pain to carry through the parks...that doesn't also break the bank. :confused:

5. gary

gary Member

search this site for tripod thread
    read it, understand it, take it into your heart, believe in it, become one with the equipment

then take your electronic self and some plastic on over to b&h and order up a velbon luxif, the official tripod of the magic in pixels

bring it to mousefest and let the force surround you as you join the tmip herd on main street doing the fireworks

6. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

The Velbon Ultra Luxi F rocks! Tim has given me countless bits of advice over the time I've known him, but this was the best

63.38" Extended
    15.35" Folded
    2.90lbs

All I need to do if find a new camera bag that will let me stow it in there, and I"ll be golden. Right now the combo of the camera bag and the tripod bag is just too much to deal with when wanting to get on and off attraction vehicles. So I only bring the tripod out at night

7. Yes. But it costs a pretty penny. :( For right now Im sticking with my Velbon CX300 but definately have the Ultra Luxi F on my wish list!

8. Temporary solution -- you know those fold up chairs you take to concerts and soccer games etc. I put my tripod into the bag (leaving the chair at home of course --although it would be great for waiting for parades in ;D) and I can sling it over my body.

9. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Wow...I didn't know there was an official TMIP tripod!

I've managed to get by with a $32, 5-year-old Quantaray (Sunpak) tripod that extends to 64", compacts to 17", weighs 2lbs, fits in Disney small lockers, hangs in the tripod rack on the side of my Kata R102 backpack, and seems to even handle the immense weight of my Tamron 200-500 telezoom and camera body. It has bubble levels, quick release plate, rubber or spike feet, and I can compact it from fully extended in about 7 seconds.

Now, that's not to say that I'm not occasionally jealous with Tim's ball-mount swivel and pistol grip head! But for cheap folks like me, it's possible to get a decent, usable, long-lasting tripod for big-lens work for well under $50. If I won the lottery, then I'm shopping those $100+ tripods! :)

10. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

That's a lot of plastic to bring to b&h! Thank you for the advice - thanks to everyone really! I'm weighing price with portability, but I'm most likely going to be showing up to the TMIP meets with The Official TMIP Tripod in tow. :)

11. Tim

there ya go!

12. Heres a question. Why does TMIP endorse the Luxi model and not the Maxi model?

13. Tim

because the luxi is the one i have.
    also, i found a way to remove the pan/tilt head and mount the manfrotto pistol grip for one hella cool combination.

14. Ah just wondering. I noticed that the maxi is a little bit smaller and a little bit lighter (and of course 40 dollars more expensive) :D

Newbie question (although Im like 5 posts from serious shooter): Whats a pan/tilt head?

Katie

15. Tim

a pan/tilt head is what you would typically put a camcorder on. it has a platform and 2 handles to allow you to smoothly turn the camera to follow the action. it is acceptable to use such for a still camera, however a ball head is more quickly adjusted and locked into place.

16. hmmm you learn something new everyday. Thanks Tim. My Velbon's head has 1 handle that I can move the camera left and right and there is a switch so I can tilt my camera to the side and shoot vertical pics. And of course this is the one I found in the back of the closet -- not the tripod that I ordered off Amazon.

15 days!!!

17. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

I'd been wondering about the maxi versus luxi and the nuances of the pan/tilt head myself, so thanks for asking those questions, Katie...and thanks for answering, Tim!

18. Kiki

Kiki Member

I'm still using a 20 y.o. Bogen that ways a ton...

19. No problem! Whast the say saying? If you dont raise your hand you wont get the answer...or something like that. Hey Nitrostitch according to the mousefest website youre staying at Boardwalk? Me too!

20. ITS ALMOST HERE!!! Last minute (well almost) head count -- whos going?

Im going to try to be there for the 101 meet at MK on Thursday
    and the Walk Around the World and maybe the Nighttime Photography sessions on Saturday

Katie