Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Feb 8, 2019.

1. I'd be interested in a get together to do this. What time frame are we looking at? I would probably drive down. I'd have to complete my vaccinations though. I'm probably in group 1C in New Jersey.
    ~Joanie

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

The best time at the wetlands down here are now through April. Not that all year round there won't be dozens of species and things to see - just that winter has so many more wintering birds, spring brings the migration, and prime wading bird nesting time just started in December, and picks up heavier through February. For me, any time is good - with the caveat that I have to work M-F so weekends is when I go out there, or if I have enough advance warning, can take a vacation day or two on weekdays.

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Returned to Lake Apopka Wildlife Drive today. Didn't the great light I had on my last visit back in February of 2019.

Again, used the Nikon D500 dSLR camera with the Nikon 80-400VR AF-S lens.

Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata) feeding one of her chicks.
    [​IMG]

Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) flying.
    [​IMG]

Osprey with kill.
    [​IMG]

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
    [​IMG]

And, of course, have to include a Great Blue Heron close up.
    [​IMG]

Here are the reptiles....

American Alligator in camouflage.
    [​IMG]

Florida Softshell (NOT a Common Snapping) Turtle out of the water and giving me the look.
    [​IMG]

Florida Cooter turtle
    [​IMG]

Will add more once I identify a couple of birds.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Very nice! All familiar sightings for Florida - feels like my weekends out down here too. As we get into summer, most of the babies have hatched and are growing - some already left the nest, and the ones still here are getting big and learning to fly already. Should start to quiet down and get into the summer birds as the heat comes on. Of course, the reptiles stay year-round.

BTW, your common snapper is a Florida softshell turtle - a southeast native type of turtle that can get quite large. It's not in the snapper family, but the bite can do just as much damage. And when you have to pick them up to carry them off the road, the very shallow underside and soft shell, combined with really long neck, make them very capable of reaching around and biting you even as you attempt to be heroic and save them (don't ask how I know).

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Definitely not as diverse as February was. Thanks for the turtle assist. The flickr group tends not to identify the creatures in their photos. Still one ugly face!!! And, dangerous it seems.

6. Very Nice Scott. I am totally jealous! I can't wait to do this next March. You and Merrie should consider joining us a little further south for birding adventure. We are planning on doing it the first week in March starting with February 27th (approximately. ) Justin has kindly offer to be our guide and point us in the right direction.

~Joanie

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I would very much. Keep me posted!! Just have to make sure I have coverage of any Crunch home games during my absence.