Inside-the-Golf-Ball Scenes

Discussion in 'Epcot Photos' started by zackiedawg, Dec 20, 2011.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Last week I had a chance to see how the new camera does on Spaceship Earth's ride, with my Sigma 30mm F1.4 lens...I hadn't actually shot this ride for the last few trips, and my A550 did well...but the new A580 certainly is cleaner and more detailed, and also let me shoot a few scenes I've never had any success with in the past. ; I can likely do better too, if I ever decide to not be lazy and shoot these in RAW and process them - for now, these are JPGs straight from the camera...all shot at F1.7 and ISO6400:

Egypt's papyrus scroll pounder (never could get this guy before):
    [​IMG]

Pharoah scene:
    [​IMG]

Phoenecian traders (never got this one very well either):
    [​IMG]

Roman ceasar and centurion:
    [​IMG]

Muslim/African scholars:
    [​IMG]

Monk:
    [​IMG]

Renaissance musicians:
    [​IMG]

Painter:
    [​IMG]

Sistine chapel (never had luck on this one):
    [​IMG]

60's space-era living room:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. gary

gary Member

nice work, especially the 60's scene, i've never gotten a good one of that either

3. zackiedawg

Thanks Gary - that one isn't the greatest, but the best I've gotten so far - so it definitely gives me some inspiration to give it a better try next time, now that I learned the camera's capabilities.

4. zackiedawg

Not many golf ball fans around here. ; I have no idea why I like it so much, but this ride's been a favorite of mine since opening year. ; This, and the now-gone World of Motion original.

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Nice job, Justin. ; I agree with Gary, the moon landing scene is well done. ; Someday they'll invent a camera that can catch both the scene and the TV screen perfectly exposed.

6. zackiedawg

I could do it with mine, if the ride would kindly stop at that point for me! ; The built-in HDR modes in several cameras including mine would work very nicely to capture the wide lighting difference between those two, but I don't think it would work well with the ride in motion as the multiple frames likely wouldn't align correctly.

7. ELinder

ELinder Member

If your burst rate is fast enough, Photomatix can align the images.

Erich

8. zackiedawg

The in-camera does a respectable job of dealing with some motion - it shoots at 7fps and can merge HDR photos taken handheld. ; I just wasn't sure if ride motion would be just a bit too much since even your shooting position and angle are changing. ; Might be an interesting thing to try though! ; I might just have to try an HDR burst next time and see what happens.

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

These are great Justin! ; That new camera seems to be working out rather well.

10. zackiedawg

11. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I'm here! ; I'm still getting used to the new narration...but I'm glad to see the wand go! ; (BRING BACK THE ACRYLIC SCULPTURE OUTSIDE!)

12. zackiedawg

I wouldn't mind hearing Jeremy back...but I'm getting more accustomed to Dame Judy. ; And I agree on the acrylic sculpture...and the wand!

13. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I liked the wand but the acrylic statue would be great to have back. ;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. PolynesianMedic

Ok, I am having a moment here, can someone please show me what statue you are all speaking of. ; Thanks! ; I actually got stopped in the ball right at the 60's home, and I think that I got a couple of nice shots there. ; One is a little wider than the one you posted Justin and I think that the other is about the same. ; I'll get them up later.

15. zackiedawg

I don't have a shot of it scanned from my old film days...maybe someone else has it? ; It was the original fountain at the entrance - the one with the bumpy rocks and water flowing down that we often use to 'foot' the SSE ball...it used to have 3 soaring acrylic spires in the middle, with Epcot symbol etchings.

16. PolynesianMedic

Oh yes, now I remember the mirrored spires. ; I forgot all about them. ; I do wish they would come back, I think they would round out the shot of the ball and the other tombstones nicely.

17. Roger

I HAVE IT!

[​IMG]

Circa 1996. ; The EPCOT logo is on each of the three spires....

18. zackiedawg

Yep - that's it! ; I think I could dig it up on some old slides or prints, but none that are scanned.

19. PolynesianMedic

I wonder why that went away.

20. Roger

I can't remember why but I think it had to do with the whole going away from EPCOT to Epcot...they wanted to remove all traces of the original logo since it was part of EPCOT Center.

Strange thing is that some wheelchairs have survived from that long ago.