Hello from a total newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by insoin, Jun 15, 2009.

1. insoin

insoin Member

Thanks, I will look for that book as well.

2. gary

gary Member

anything by scott kelby, particularly for post processing

3. insoin

insoin Member

Thanks, I have not even started to go there yet. ; :-\

4. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

Nice! You'll enjoy it and it will help you out!

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

follow this link and drill down to the bottom for links to several of the books that i have...
    scott kelby's digital photography books are great resources for beginners and experienced shooters alike.
    CLICK HERE

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Put me down as a fan of this book too

7. insoin

insoin Member

So it has been a while, but this is my first day off since my last post so I have not had a lot of time to get online and post. ; But I did want to list the equipment I have so far. ; Please feel free to let me know what you think of these and any suggestions you have would be great. ; You will have to forgive me as I don’t know the proper way to list the lenses and the features they have so I’m just reading them off the lenses. ; Like I said I’m a newbie…

Nikon D90
    Nikkor DX AF-S 18-105mm 3.5-22 VR (the kit lens)
    Nikkor ; AF 50mm 1.8-22 ; I just wanted a quick little lens to have
    Nikkor ED AF-S 70-300mm 4.5-32 VR, I wanted a bit of a zoom lens here, is this one any good?

Tamron SP AF 11-18mm 5.6-29 I wanted something that would let me get a wide angle, so I can take a picture of Main Street USA from above the train station. ; LOL
    Tamron ; AF 15-250mm5-32 , I wanted a lighter zoom lens here

SB 400 as a light quick flash
    SB-600

Promaster 6100 Tripod, just wanted a light one to take to the parks for night time and fireworks.
    A monopod
    Wireless remote control
    Cable shutter release control
    And various filters for each lense.

So what do you all think? ; Is it a decent start? ; I would like to get a star filter for one or two lenses before I go on my trip in Dec. ; Oh I may also get the battery pack for it as well, not sure yet.

Scott

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

The 70-300 VR lens is considered to be one of Nikon's best non-professional lenses. ; It especially shines on DX.

Have you tried using a star filter in Photoshop yet? ; If you use a star filter on your lens, you won't be able to remove it. ; Some star effects will occur naturally during long exposures if your lens is stopped down. ; Also, I would look into step up rings, and buy just one filter; the step up rings are dirt cheap. ; And until you have two bodies, you don't need more than one of each kind of filter. ;

I'm down to just using circular polarizers, ND and UV filters. ; I used to use the star filters, soft focus, color polarizers, other Tiffen Hollywood FX ones...